Trade 2020 Raptor for 2023 Tundra TRD Pro?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nolo0125

Reaction score
Test drove a 2023 Tundra TRD Pro. The cabin tech is definitely an upgrade over my Gen 2 Raptor. Obviously the Tundra isn't as capable off road as the Raptor, but what are some other thoughts I'm over looking? I've got about 26k miles on my Raptor and (knock on wood) have not had any problems with it.

I realize that this being a Raptor forum, the general consensus will probably be don't do it... But any other constructive thoughts about the differences?

The only mods I've done to my Raptor are lights in the bezels in the front bumper, wheel well liners, bed cover, and BuiltRight bedside rack system in the bed.

If I bought the TRD Pro, I'd have to spend money right away buying a bed cover.

Raptor - Rapid Red, 802a, no sunroof, no graphics
Tundra TRD Pro - Orange, sunroof, towing, 5k markup over MSRP, black interior

What do y'all think?
I am one of those guys who had an older Tundra 07 that I loved and some lady sideswiped me ( she claims she didn’t see my lifted black truck) and when I went to Toyota to get a quote the guy stated mine was one of the good ones. He showed me a 23 Tundra that needed a new bed and said the new T/ turbo is working out it’s kinks but the fit and finish isn’t legendary Toyota like and the bed looked like it was composite. I would keep your Gen2 at least until next year to see how the new Tundra fares or go test drive a Gen3 first. I have a Gen 2 and just love it, especially over my old Tundra but it lacked the later tech… which sometimes isn’t always the best. Test drove a 23 Chevy Z71 and hated it. To many gimmicks that will probably break over time. Good luck either way.

Nolo0125

Reaction score
Yeah, I got lucky finding a Raptor with no sunroof. I definitely didn't want one. When I bought my Raptor, I was trading a 2016 Ford F150 Limited with a sunroof that leaked constantly. It was constant problem. So, the minute I found a Raptor without one, I jumped on it.

My last three trucks have been Fords. 2013 Platinum. 2016 Limited. 2020 Raptor. So mainly, I was just looking at the Toyota as something different. It's a good looking truck with awesome included tech.

My initial driving impressions - driving the TRD Pro was a lot like driving my old Limited. Very nice and capable. But my Raptor is closer to driving a sports car in a truck body for sure.

I agree about a better way to upgrade my cabin tech is to move to a Gen 3. I honestly like the exterior looks of my Gen 2 slightly better though, but definitely not a deal breaker. More honestly, I haven't even looked at a Gen 3 in person at a dealer - I haven't found one locally.

I'm very much leaning towards not trading my Raptor. I like new, bright shiny things... so I appreciate you guys' input to talk me off the ledge.
I am in your camp where I like the Gen2 look better. The 3 is just to boxy in my view.. 2 is more sculpted.

OP
OP
mg32

mg32

Reaction score
I’m firmly not buying the Toyota.

I did contact a dealer about 250 miles away that had a Gen 3 in the color and specs I wanted. However, I also found out that those of you saying that a raptor is only a couple thousand different are not entirely correct.

2023 raptor. 84.5k sticker. 10k markup. 2.5k “dealer accessories”. Total was $97k with 60k trade for mine.

Nope. Not doing that either.

So I figure I can order a new raptor and wait forever or just hold on to my Gen 2.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score

I did contact a dealer about 250 miles away that had a Gen 3 in the color and specs I wanted. However, I also found out that those of you saying that a raptor is only a couple thousand different are not entirely correct.

2023 raptor. 84.5k sticker. 10k markup. 2.5k “dealer accessories”. Total was $97k with 60k trade for mine.

So I figure I can order a new raptor and wait forever or just hold on to my Gen 2.
Make more calls. You can get one for MSRP and without "dealer accessories".

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you really want a Gen 3 there are MSRP deals out there more and more. About 5 weeks ago I got my 23 w/ @ sticker of $84,110 for MSRP and no BS add ones. Had to drive 6 hrs to get it. Was a backout on a truck spec exactly as I would have ordered and it was about 1 month from 1st call to pickup. I was also next on their list for an allocation they were getting, which I didn’t wind up needing.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have no regrets going from my gen2 Raptor to a hybrid Limited TRD offroad, almost 600 foot pounds of torque and it is quicker off the line than a Raptor. It's tech is light years beyond the gen 3 raptor, front cameras, rear side cameras all angles and a huge tablet screen. Not to mention the digital rear view mirror. An actual locking fuel door with a gas cap. What a novel idea? A 4x4 almost full size truck getting 19-22 mpgs doesn't exactly suck. Granted I didn't get the pro but I didn't like the pro and you can get certain models and build the Tundra like you want. The JBL system is 10 times better then the best Sony systems, which were better than the B&O junk Ford has been using for years. These are the things it does well.

However, it is NOT a balls to the wall hard core Baja offroad truck like the Raptor. Raptors are tough and built strong as has been said best of the best and best in class. Ford F150s have roughly 55 percent domestic content while the Tundra has 65 percent and are made in Texas. It is more of an American truck than Mexican produced rams or GMs which source a lot of their parts from China. You made the best decision for you but I can see why it would appeal to you. Toyota offers a more positive ownership experience compared to ford as well.

And best yet your not supporting the UAW which I imagine would make most of you all upset since they helped get the current administration into office.

Last edited: