Towing Boat Trailer w/Reverse Lockout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randman13

Reaction score
I tow a boat/trailer with my 2018 Raptor. The trailer has a reverse solenoid lockout which allows you to back the trailer without the surge brakes engaging. Last night while backing up the trailer with my Raptor, the trailer brakes were engaging (solenoid not locking out). I conducted a test, and the center pin of my truck 7 way receptacle didn't have power when truck was in reverse. I would appreciate any answers to the following 2 questions:
1) On Ford F150/Raptors, is the center pin of the truck 7-way, the right pin for reverse lights.
2) Should the reverse light circuit of the 7-way trailer plug on the truck come factory installed by Ford? Or, do I need to splice in a jumper for the receptacle?

I haven't take out the truck 7-way receptacle to see if there is an actual back-up wire installed yet, so I thought I would post to see if anyone else has experience with this.

Thanks much!

sfckelley

Reaction score
How did you test it? From my understanding, the truck does not send any power unless it detects a trailer plugged in. Also, if you have a push button starter, the fob has to be inside the truck with the doors closed for power to be sent as well.

OP
OP
Randman13

Randman13

Reaction score
I tested it with accessory on, vehicle in reverse and used a voltage "light probe". Reverse lights and tail lights were on. The pins in the 7 way for tail lights and turn signals tested positive, so the 7-way receptacle does get power even when the trailer plug is not connected.

SexyAvalancheGrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experienced this before with other vehicles and Ranger Bass Boat trailers. Usually there is a mechanical disengagement on the trailer with ours. Not sure if you have that for at least a meantime fix.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way I know of any boat trailers with surge brakes to back up without power is the mechanical key that goes near the tongue that doesn’t allow the tongue to move and engage the brakes.

Are you saying you can back your trailer without power and the brakes will not engage? Doesn’t sound right to me and a safety concern....

Or are you saying that your truck is connected and the brakes are not releasing? If this is the case I would look at the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

salts001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am reading the post correctly; the center pin has power when the truck is placed in reverse with and without a trailer connected (that's also where I taped power for my auxiliary rev lights) and I don't think you need to do anything with the 7pin on the truck. All of the reverse circuity should be on the trailer side.

OP
OP
Randman13

Randman13

Reaction score
So, let me try explaining this a little better...The trailer has surge brakes, and when backing up there are 2 ways to keep the surge brakes on the trailer from applying. The first is a mechanical lock-out on the tongue of the trailer (which is a pain in the ... to engage). The second is a surge brake lock-out solenoid in the tongue of the trailer. When a the truck in put in reverse, the center pin on the 7-way connector tells the trailer solenoid that it is backing up, and the surge brakes are locked out so you can back the trailer up a hill for instance. Well, that's the way it's supposed to work, and the way it did work with my '03 Ram 2500 (same trailer). My question is, does Ford factory wire the center pin of the 7-way connector with a wire that is signaled off the reverse lights? When I tested all the pins on the 7-way, brake/tail/turn light all work, not the reverse (which is supposed to be center pin), which indicates to me that Ford does not wire that pin, and I need to splice in the signal off the reverse lights. I hope this helps explain my question. Thanks to all that have given it some thought!

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trailers come in two formats as above posted. One is center hot for power when connected such as a camper. The other is one of outer pins hot, Use test and google trailer connections. Will show your problem. Most likely its with trailer.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be your trailer or the connector on your wire harness, never owned a Dodge only GM and Ford trucks so the connector may be incorrect if your using any kind of connection to your trailer harness. Flat 5 pin to round 7 pin etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk