Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed this today actually. I was coming up on traffic, got off the gas, lane opened and got back on it hard. Had about a 2 second delay between throttle application and the truck actually going. I'd love for that to go away.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I noticed this today actually. I was coming up on traffic, got off the gas, lane opened and got back on it hard. Had about a 2 second delay between throttle application and the truck actually going. I'd love for that to go away.

Normal mode?

I’ve had that happen to me, and it happens if you try to pass someone at part throttle too, it’s just not as noticeable. To be fair, my former soob’ did this in normal mode too but the Rap takes it to new heights. I think if you’re in an OD gear, the trans is doing a longer operation to downshift, or at least that’s what it feels like. In sport, the truck won’t upshift at lower rpms so you don’t get this symptom. Use a pedal commander and the (false) extra throttle fools the computer into thinking you floored it or gave it a genuine caning.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a fix for this man.

M P T

Just take the plunge.

You’ll thank me.

Normal mode?

I’ve had that happen to me, and it happens if you try to pass someone at part throttle too, it’s just not as noticeable. To be fair, my former soob’ did this in normal mode too but the Rap takes it to new heights. I think if you’re in an OD gear, the trans is doing a longer operation to downshift, or at least that’s what it feels like. In sport, the truck won’t upshift at lower rpms so you don’t get this symptom. Use a pedal commander and the (false) extra throttle fools the computer into thinking you floored it or gave it a genuine caning.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tranny data was normal. Conditioned happens with tq converter locked up, un locked and partially unlocked. The converter is operating correctly also.

We pitched the question to Hotline about the plugs. They told us plugs were not reported to fix this problem. With that being said I do have a set of plugs on my desk. If we don't find a problem with the truck I will replace plugs and see if that is the problem.

Ford is now requesting fuel trim data. They also want us to put a gauge on the fuel rail to see if the fuel rail pressure sensor is reading correctly. *edit* ecoboost has 2 fuel pumps and 2 rail sensors. Both sensors are reading accurately so it can't be a pressure sensor.

We're going to try and do that today.

Didn't really think of this before but last summer I towed a 5k pound camper. Every time I hit the gas to pass someone the truck smoked quite a bit of black smoke out the exhaust. So much so that my wife who was following behind me called me to ask if there was something wrong with my truck. We'll see if it's fuel trim related.

Also Gregger your symptom is not the same as what I'm experiencing

We just logged the fuel trim. Tech is going back to evaluate now. Did some pulls where I was able to run 4th and 5th and 6th gear out on separate pulls under load and up hill. VERY noticeable under those conditions.

Last edited:

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93 octane fuel helped mine a lot. The dealer put 87 in it when i bought it and it took two tanks before it stopped missing/surging when accelerating. I have 5k miles on it now and it seems good.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I figured I'd take a shot with the plugs so I swapped them out last night. Went with the 542's but left them at stock gap. They came at the same gap as the stock plugs I pulled out, close to .30

Stock plugs that came out looked fine.

I didn't get to drive the truck much yet but it doesn't seem to have changed the issue I'm having. I'll have chance to drive it more later today. If the problem didn't get fixed I'll pull the plugs and drop the gap to .25

Also waiting to hear back from Hotline on their next move

Sledgehammer I've run several tanks of 93 through my truck and my symptoms never changed.