Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, you are a Ford Customer, that happens to work at a Ford Dealership. Turn your truck in for warranty work like the rest of us Customers do. Driving around in a truck that has an obvious problem for as long as you obviously have makes no sense. And, if all the Techs at your dealership can do is plug into the OBD, then take zero corrective action, you need to take your ride to a better service center. That was my point.

The deal with warranty work is we as a dealership must follow Ford's diagnostic procedure or they won't pay us. The first step of that process is verifying the customers concern and the second step in this case is data logging multiple inputs trying to determine what is causing the issue. We've done that so far. Honestly if any of that information would have even remotely pointed to plugs that would have been the first thing I would have done. But NONE of the data indicates that is the issue.
We transmitted the recording to the Ford's hotline where their engineers review the info and either ask for more diagnostics or tell us what to repair/replace. They want torque converter lockup data which we didn't look at.

I'm technically off tomorrow but will be here doing deliveries. So the plan tomorrow is to work my truck in through the day. I have an extensive mechanical back round so I work closely with service on a regular basis with my customers vehicles. So naturally I do that with my own vehicles.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford won't pay you?

The plugs are ****** $42 and probably less with your cost, and 20mins of work

This whole thread is a joke

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude

Why are you ragging on this guy?

He has access to a Ford Dealership and he is working with the Ford Engineers.

I think he gets that he can put colder plugs in for 50 bucks and call it a day. Maybe that’s his problem... maybe he has a different problem than you all together.

Further... if it is his plugs and that’s where the engineers finally go with it... wouldn’t you like to know why colder plugs with a gap well beyond spec is needed to make it run correctly? Wouldn’t it be nice to know what parts aren’t working properly to require that change? Stronger coils? Different PCM programming?

Last...

I have stock plugs in my truck. STOCK. Stock heat range. Stock from the factory. My tune is hotter than yours from Whipple.

Guess what? I don’t have any stutter or hesitation issues. Not a one. So something is definitely out of sorts with some of these trucks, perhaps including yours.

Just a thought

Ford won't pay you?

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford won't pay you?

Seriously **** of the thread if you have a problem with it.

I've chose to actually research the problem and not just assume it's spark plugs like a few people on the internet have experienced.

If the data would have shown any amount of misfires i would have just put plugs in it at my own cost and moved on. But the truck shows NO signs of misfire. So why in the hell would I just throw plugs in the truck?? Oh that's right because you said I needed to put plugs in it.

I'll complete the diagnostic process on the path that Ford directs us to. I'll see where that ends up and I'll post the process here for anyone else that's interested in the findings.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously **** of the thread if you have a problem with it.

I've chose to actually research the problem and not just assume it's spark plugs like a few people on the internet have experienced.

If the data would have shown any amount of misfires i would have just put plugs in it at my own cost and moved on. But the truck shows NO signs of misfire. So why in the hell would I just throw plugs in the truck?? Oh that's right because you said I needed to put plugs in it.

I'll complete the diagnostic process on the path that Ford directs us to. I'll see where that ends up and I'll post the process here for anyone else that's interested in the findings.

Guess what ?

None of the people with hesitation issues had any type of misfire issues or anything that comes up in logs.

New plugs fixes the problem. Why? Who ******* cares. Because new plugs solve it.

Let me guess, if a light bulb in your house burns out- do you get a ******* 'engineer' with a laptop and a notepad to inspect why? Do you need some scientific data before you change out the lightbulb?

We've done the research for you.

Stop wasting the forums time, your time, and the rest of the Calvary you have called to tell you the same thing we have

CHANGE. THE. ******. PLUGS.

How many Ford dealership employees does it take to change a lightbulb?

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont listen to the negative comments.
Im having the same issue and am waiting to see what they figure out on yours.

Rather than throw parts at it I too like to know why its doing it.... and I do have an engineer troubleshoot my burned out bulbs too.

Boost junkie

Reaction score
Op keep up the good work

Any time you put a set of new plugs in motor its going to change the way it runs some what. That doesn't mean in a couple thousand miles its not going to come back. Keep up the good work. Back in the first gen days we didnt have all this squabbling like we do now. We also need to figure this out also.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone who has changed the plugs has reported it fixed the issue and no one has reported it coming back, myself included.

By all means, sit on your thumbs and wait for the techs at your Ford dealership to get stumped, then Google what to do and find this very thread. They'll change the plugs, fix the issue, so you dipshits can feel better some ***** at the dealership fixed the problem because he had the common sense to follow the proven advice posted here.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone who has changed the plugs has reported it fixed the issue and no one has reported it coming back, myself included.

By all means, sit on your thumbs and wait for the techs at your Ford dealership to get stumped, then Google what to do and find this very thread. They'll change the plugs, fix the issue, so you dipshits can feel better some ***** at the dealership fixed the problem because he had the common sense to follow the proven advice posted here.

LOL
I hope ur right
Question Im seeing some are going with this colder plug... what plugs did u go with and Im assumin .28 gap