Taking my truck to Work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOCALEV

Reaction score
I bought my raptor when i was 30. None of my co-workers knew i bought it because we all drive company trucks. I showed up to a company dinner one night and the majority of the guys broke my balls all night saying it must be nice you get paid to much, yada yada. We're union pipefitters so we all make the same money. And some guys made 30k to 50k more than i did last year. I doesn't bother me one bit. The difference is im engaged with no kids, and my fiancee works. Most of my coworkers have 3 kids, a stay at home wife, and a vaca house. People will be petty no matter what.

Side note. I bought a 801 supercab for 59k. 7 of the guys drive supercrew platinum f150s.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If anything I'd be more concerned about how those up the ladder perceive your spending. It's still just a Ford truck, but some GMs, Directors, and VPs are cheapo's. They know how much you make and are just going to think they are paying you more than fairly already if salary increase discussions come up, or are considering putting you in a position with P&L responsibilities.
Really though, chances are that most of these people won't care either. Be a consistent high performer and let your work be what you're rated on.

In the end, drive it, enjoy it, and in a few days it's not even something to think about.

Every once in a while , I Park in the Directors normal parking spot . Its not marked or signed. Just because i'm a **** and also take a Dump in the Executive Restroom just cause.

Last edited:

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, good job even thinking about this. In business everything matters. Every move you make, what you say and the words you choose, and every impression you make on those below as well as above you on the org chart.

On a certain level it's really just an F150. (I'm not proud to drive an F150, my F350 CC LB diesel was much nicer and more expensive)
Unless they're into cars, most people will just see a truck like all the others on the road. What most people will notice, however, is that you're the new guy who bought a new truck just after getting hired.
Some of your direct reports may think your new Raptor is cool and wish they could properly afford one. Others may grumble with jealousy because they're in low level positions and will probably not go very far in their career to be able to afford the luxury of a brand new high performance vehicle.
These people will get over it quickly.

If anything I'd be more concerned about how those up the ladder perceive your spending. It's still just a Ford truck, but some GMs, Directors, and VPs are cheapo's. They know how much you make and are just going to think they are paying you more than fairly already if salary increase discussions come up, or are considering putting you in a position with P&L responsibilities.
Really though, chances are that most of these people won't care either. Be a consistent high performer and let your work be what you're rated on.

In the end, drive it, enjoy it, and in a few days it's not even something to think about.

Wow, are you a shrink?

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same but different problem here.
I am non-management. We all used to be able to park inside our shop facilities. Luxury sports cars and my old F150.
A few years go by and I start parking my new Raptor where we all did before.
Six months go by and now management doesn’t like it. (No complaints and no safety issues). All have to park outside now. Basically I “ruined” it for the rest.
There are petty people out there. Be careful.
I need a manager who drives a Raptor!

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strong inclination that jealousy isn't the issue here but that OP has his raptor perched up on way too high a pedestal. In other words, the potential jealousy and "raptor status" is mostly his over-active imagination at work.

Probably. But even if it was a Ferrari or something else the concept that he would feel a need to behave in this manner either says something about him or the people he works with or both. Not pointing at the OP but people in general have become so petty and small minded in general it's just a sad thing to not be able to applaud other people's accomplishments and happiness while you pursue your own.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2017 SS 1LE (which really isn't expensive $46K MSRP), my neighbor walked by "You must be getting paid too much", me: "Don't tell my boss" (trying to be nice and joke along), and then, "Mid life crisis"...I play along to be neighborly.

Couple weeks later I'm washing it in the driveway, same DB, "Hey, you missed a spot", and then some smart ass remark about it getting keyed, I can't remember exactly what he said, I knew he was just being a jealous DB, but my response was something like, "you never know, there are a lot of jealous people who wouldn't think twice about keying my car".

His wife was with him at the time, and she replied in a manner that made me think she picked up on my tone that her hubby should really **** already. He never did say anything again.

Also had a coworker say some stuff. I was never really worried about coworkers (peers) or even my boss, but once or twice thought that I didn't want the C-suite folks seeing what I drive (again SS 1LE not $$$, but looks $$$), but it's just not really worth trying to hide. I did have my boss's boss, a C-suit see me dropping my kid off at the campus day care one day, he's like "is that an SS 1LE?" Rare that most would even know what the 1LE package was so it was kinda fun.

Anyway, most people wouldn't know a Raptor, yet alone what they cost, for 95%, it's just a truck.