GEN 1 Stereo whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my 13 with 24,013 miles on the clock (like it was in a time capsule!) and some major work done on the stereo - like 2 JL Audio amps under the rear passenger seat and a sub that fills the other side. All speakers replaced with JL as well. Looking at all the wiring done it was obviously done by a pro and the rumor is that it cost thousands to have it completed - best setup I have ever heard!
BUT... occasionally you will hear a high pitched whine coming from the audio. Can't identify a pattern of what has happened when it starts and will even whine with the stereo off.
I can do a hell of a lot of other things, but this high end audio is totally new to me so I'm looking for clues as to where to start looking. I do know the amp for the sum is controlled by AUX1 and the whine will be there with it on or off.
Thanks for any ideas!!!

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm a ******* on this because I'm old! lol
Here is what I see...
On the console is a set of Kicker controls labled Front Row
On it are controls for Stage, Surround & Bass
4 channel amp is JL XD 400/4
SUB AMP IS JL XD 600/1
I hope that makes sense!

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do! Being an electronics tech for many years, my first thought is a bad connection or ground issue since its pretty erratic.
THANKS!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Will do! Being an electronics tech for many years, my first thought is a bad connection or ground issue since its pretty erratic.
THANKS!!

that can happen; ground, or interference bleeding into the cabling, etc.
Try to isolate it.

Pull the amp to speaker connections, one by one while the whine is manifesting. This will help narrow down where it’s coming from if you have multiple amps and components back there.

does it come and go, or is it constant? If it comes and goes, does it come when the amp fan is on?
It could be heat, or fan related, or both . I realize you said ‘occasionally’, but, is it that you’re hearing it occasionally, or, it’s happening all the time and you’re just not hearing it all the time. One way you might be able to hear it better is to put on a set of electronic hearing protectors (ear muffs). They amplify below uncomfortable sound levels and cut out above it. They let you talk to other humans, or yourself, in very loud settings. When there’s no ambient noise they amplify small sounds you don’t normally hear.

I hope you find it.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - great info!! I'm on the road this week but will see if I can isolate it when I get back. AUX 1 is used as a kill switch for the sub amp so I think I can eliminate that. All sources go through the Synch head unit and make no difference in what source is used. I'm thinking heat is potentially the cause and will pay more attention to it tomorrow since I'll be driving about 4 hours or so. Maybe cooling fan on the main amp. I will see if I can find out who did the install since we can contact the previous owner.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger on the interface! When I get back off the road I'll pull out the boxes that came with the truck - everything that was removed was put into boxes and I have them all. I do know there is a Kicker component in there somewhere. I really need to learn a bunch about this awesome setup! Been a few changes since I put an 8 track in my 68 Roadrunner!!!!! (when it was new)
Thanks again!!
Of course today it's working perfectly!! LOL