Spare Tire location for offroading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if it would help to throw the spare tire inside the bed of the truck when offroading. I'm talking more about climbing through trails than jumping or racing. It just seems like it would give you a hair more ground clearance and come in handy if you had to change a flat.

So what does the group think?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question!

Well, it certainly would be more convenient to have it in the bed than under it. Of course the reason it's under the bed is to save bed space.

If you had a flat it would be a lot easier to change it with the spare in the bed. And if you get a flat offroad it will be a lot less challenging to make the change if the spare's not underneath.

As for increasing ground clearance, moving it will give you more but it won't change the departure angle which is determined by the last hangy down part - the hitch and/or bumper.

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well strap it down good, its very heavy. Over 80 lbs I think, but not sure.

Yes sir, I figured 85-90lbs.

Anyhow, I'll have a bed cover by that time and I wouldn't jumping with it in the bed.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it would buy you too much. Looking around under there I see some scrape marks in various places, none of which are on the spare.

The gate on the other hand makes some sense in terms of weight distribution. But if you're carrying gear back there you're probably going to get a similar benefit by default.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I agree with Dan and J...the bumper, hitch receiver and tow hooks are much more of a problem than the spare. If you could remove the spare and move all that to the location of the spare then you might have something.