Shock PSI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What are the differences in performace when a shock is at 75psi vs 125?

No raptor shock should be run at that low of pressure, the shock will cavitate if you do. Performance will be bad. If you are talking about ride quality, the nitrogen pressure has very little to do with that.

OP
OP
hackleman

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In asking for 2 different shocks. My raptor 3.0 fronts. Have 100psi.
My bronco has king 3.0 smoothies. It rides a little rough and very noisy. They have 75 in them now. Calls for 150psi. If I get them up to 150 will the be rougher?

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In asking for 2 different shocks. My raptor 3.0 fronts. Have 100psi.
My bronco has king 3.0 smoothies. It rides a little rough and very noisy. They have 75 in them now. Calls for 150psi. If I get them up to 150 will the be rougher?

#1 - I do not know what brand Raptor 3.0 shocks you have but they all are factory charged around 200psi, 100 is def to low. Ultimately this is going to lead to shock cavitation and a sub-par performing shock during use.

#2 IF King is calling for 150psi it needs to be set there. Same reasoning above. The noise is likely coming from the low pressure. If charging them to the proper nitrogen pressure does not do the trick you may also need a rebuild. Ride will not be rougher based on pressure (slightly at low speed like 5-10% max if you pushed 350psi in them), you just need to have them tuned properly for your application and set up.

Mind you it is next to impossible to "accurately check" the nitro pressure in a shock unless you have a fairly expensive tool to do this. You will let some of the air out trying to check it and never get an accurate ready to know exactly what was in there. There is such a small over all volume that when you touch it with a tool and hear the psshhh noise pushing it on, that is air loss. For the normal consumer you are better off just draining and recharging to the factory call out by the MFG. Best to do with the shock fully extended as well. (not overly critical in a non race situation just best)

Reaction score
Absolute correct.
Low PSI is a huge NO!!!.
ALL of my rebuilds are min of 210psi for the 2.0 FOX with oem valving.Manufacture set psi is crucial to performance of shock regardless of diameter size.cooling,heating,performance impact absorption,deflection...etc,etc.The manufacture has done extensive testing and many breaking of their product to arrive at that specified PSI.This is why there are specific shops trained to do the rebuild,repair,re-valving etc.If there is ever a question you have..DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER FOR THE CORRECT INFORMATION.They are more than happy to assist you and even work with you to make sure their product is safe and effectively doing its job of operating within its proper limits. hope this helps-
Best
R K Motorsports