Removing Front License Plate Bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for bringing this up, had <incorrectly> assumed that it would be a "clip on" bracket similar to my 2016 King Ranch. I'll be sure and have my dealer not install when truck comes in. Had to do the same with my 2017 GT350, just a shame to drill into an otherwise perfectly good bumper!

If you do end up with two holes in the bumper, get some inexpensive flat head plastic push fasteners and paint the heads with touch up paint to match the bumper...I've done this in the past and it looks much better than two stray holes...

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys for bringing this up, had <incorrectly> assumed that it would be a "clip on" bracket similar to my 2016 King Ranch. I'll be sure and have my dealer not install when truck comes in. Had to do the same with my 2017 GT350, just a shame to drill into an otherwise perfectly good bumper!

If you do end up with two holes in the bumper, get some inexpensive flat head plastic push fasteners and paint the heads with touch up paint to match the bumper...I've done this in the past and it looks much better than two stray holes...

That's what I did. When I ordered my truck I told the dealer not to install the license plate bracket when the truck arrived.
Then I got some 3/16" nylon hole plugs from Lowes, painted them and plugged the holes.

SAM_0598.jpg

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did. When I ordered my truck I told the dealer not to install the license plate bracket when the truck arrived.
Then I got some 3/16" nylon hole plugs from Lowes, painted them and plugged the holes.

Nice job, so I take it the holes come pre-drilled from factory. Too bad, usually there are just a couple of slight indentations marking where to drill.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice job, so I take it the holes come pre-drilled from factory. Too bad, usually there are just a couple of slight indentations marking where to drill.

Yes, the bumpers are pre-drilled from the factory. :crazy:

NHnewbie

Reaction score

My state requires a front plate, so the holes will be used to mount a plate in a carbon fiber frame. Don't need to fill them. The plate retention tabs molded into the OEM plate bracket prevent the use of a LP frame. Another option may be to use a Dremel tool to remove these (plastic) tabs.

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My state requires a front plate, so the holes will be used to mount a plate in a carbon fiber frame. Don't need to fill them. The plate retention tabs molded into the OEM plate bracket prevent the use of a LP frame. Another option may be to use a Dremel tool to remove these (plastic) tabs.

CA does too but I'm not putting it on lol :flipthebird:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All you guys putting plates on in the OEM location just blocks the intercooler... I guess that's why there are fans but Ford recommends to remove the front plate when running hard in hot temps.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All you guys putting plates on in the OEM location just blocks the intercooler... I guess that's why there are fans but Ford recommends to remove the front plate when running hard in hot temps.
That's why I went with the old Ecoboost license plate location.

Attachments

• SAM_0665.jpg
    SAM_0665.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 128