Rear Gen2 shocks on gen 1 stock rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 333420View attachment 333421View attachment 333422So take it from a guy that has actually done this correctly. You will gain no travel if you have stock springs. However when I went with icons and a 2 inch shackle. I achieved 15 inches of travel. If you have an aftermarket bump kit you will have to get new mounts like I did. It will max the shock out at full bump
How do you come up with those upper mounts? If you made them, would you make another set and sell them to me? I’m running Gen 2 shocks and icon springs AND I recently added the 2.5” bumpstop kit in the rear. Haven’t bottomed out yet, but it would be nice to know I was set up correctly with those upper mounts like yours.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you come up with those upper mounts? If you made them, would you make another set and sell them to me? I’m running Gen 2 shocks and icon springs AND I recently added the 2.5” bumpstop kit in the rear. Haven’t bottomed out yet, but it would be nice to know I was set up correctly with those upper mounts like yours.
You can always cycle your suspension to verify. It is a little bit of work, but not as bad as I thought it would be

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry these are custom made by my fab guy. Was pretty easy. We moved up the shock about 3/4 inch

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always cycle your suspension to verify. It is a little bit of work, but not as bad as I thought it would be
The way I did it which is the bro way was to take the shock guard off and put grease on the shaft. Then I sent her off a jump. Found I only had 1/4 inch to play with on the stock springs and decide to move them.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up travel is awesome, great not bottoming out. Negative arch on the leads, not so much but what are you supposed to do on sprung over truck?

Droop is cool for traction and all, lol.
This is what I'm considering, adjusting my SVC bumps up a notch for max uptravel, but don't want to get into negative arch (+3 Deavers, stock length Camburg shackles); would need to cycle with a single leaf but was hoping somebody else had already done it before I look for some Gen2 shocks...

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what I'm considering, adjusting my SVC bumps up a notch for max uptravel, but don't want to get into negative arch (+3 Deavers, stock length Camburg shackles); would need to cycle with a single leaf but was hoping somebody else had already done it before I look for some Gen2 shocks...
I’m currently running the icon bumpstops and I pulled the spacer out for the additional uptravel. My deaver +3’s definitely do have some negative arch at full bump. I did a bit of research and I saw on race dezert people were claiming that they asked and deaver said a couple inches of negative arch is the maximum. I don’t really like it, but there is basically no way around it with a sprung over setup like ours.

eastreich

Reaction score
I’m currently running the icon bumpstops and I pulled the spacer out for the additional uptravel. My deaver +3’s definitely do have some negative arch at full bump. I did a bit of research and I saw on race dezert people were claiming that they asked and deaver said a couple inches of negative arch is the maximum. I don’t really like it, but there is basically no way around it with a sprung over setup like ours.
Is there a way to somewhat lessen the negative arch by using Deaver +4s and a longer shackle to get the ride height back to +3 levels? I know this is probably just opening up another can of worms in that you will need to put limit straps on if running OEM or OEM replacement shocks that won't have the required shaft travel for the added droop.

Or is this just going to put the spring into a zone where it isn't very happy (i.e. bad ride characteristics)?