Rear Gen2 shocks on gen 1 stock rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aren't the rear springs shorter on the gen 2? I would think you have the same or more travel already, but I'm not an expert. Following.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Our Gen 1 came with Gen 2 shocks and it rode like poop. Not much down travel and it lifted the front throwing off the control arm angles, toward more vertical than more horizontal, if that makes sense. I installed a set of Gen 1 shocks, all better.

I believe the Gen 2 shocks are a couple inches longer than Gen 1. I would think you would need to weld on longer brackets at the rear axle and taller breackets at the front tower to make them work decent since they would be in a more neutral position.

It seems like a lot of folks here running Gen 2 shocks on a Gen 1 and seem to like it. All I know is that they must have had some really messed up shocks before the swap. Driving the 2018 and then driving the 2010 back to back, you for sure can tell the Gen 1 truck is not right w/ Gen 2's.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pure opinion, but if you off-road, you'd be better off with heavier springs and shocks that are not OEM, and if you don't off-road you're better off with Gen 1 shocks. I know A LOT more people that run a King 3.0 w/ Deavers than retro-fit the Gen2 shock; not that the masses are always right, but I believe they are in this case.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed Gen 2 shocks on my buddies Gen 1 and it rides amazing. Much better than the Gen 1 shocks even after they were rebuilt.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running Gen 2 rear shocks on my 2012 with ICON leaf springs, zero issues.

Also, ran them on OEM springs and never run into any binding issues.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen2 shocks are longer and if you don’t “lengthen” the mounting points you will lose travel. And if you bottom out hard or continue to, the shocks will be damaged

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F52A0D41-5B77-4EFA-8AC4-C5D7AAEEA8FD.jpegDBC34DBC-C17D-4115-B865-934D2EBFEA27.jpeg9B5E919E-3FB5-4E6A-AC81-F80C701DBF82.jpegSo take it from a guy that has actually done this correctly. You will gain no travel if you have stock springs. However when I went with icons and a 2 inch shackle. I achieved 15 inches of travel. If you have an aftermarket bump kit you will have to get new mounts like I did. It will max the shock out at full bump

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have a bump kit that gives you extra travel the shocks work fine. You can always take more down travel but in my research and talking to svc they said up travel is more important.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don’t have a bump kit that gives you extra travel the shocks work fine. You can always take more down travel but in my research and talking to svc they said up travel is more important.
Up travel is awesome, great not bottoming out. Negative arch on the leads, not so much but what are you supposed to do on sprung over truck?

Droop is cool for traction and all, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter