Raptor envy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Allow me to explain. Whether you’re doing 10mph over the speed limit, or 100mph over the speed limit, if/when someone is coming up behind you at a faster speed, please signal and move over ASAP. It works like magic in Germany. We can only fantasize that people could do that in the US.

I'm talking about roads with speed limits between 55 and 65 mph, not the autobahn. I'm also not talking about roads with little or no traffic. If' I'm going 70, I'm not going to switch lanes and drop to 50 so that the guy behind me can go 80. He can wait till I'm done passing and can switch lanes and continue to go 70.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Allow me to explain. Whether you’re doing 10mph over the speed limit, or 100mph over the speed limit, if/when someone is coming up behind you at a faster speed, please signal and move over ASAP. It works like magic in Germany. We can only fantasize that people could do that in the US.

@melvimbe beat me to it.

when someone comes up behind me as I am in the process of making a pass, I am not morally, legally, ethically or for the sake of common courtesy required to slow down, abandon the pass, and take up position behind a slower moving vehicle; neither is anyone else, nor should we expect them to. Of course, i hate being stuck behind them so I do my level best to not be the one holding people up. i’ll even find open shoulder to let someone through if they’ve got more pace than me. there seems to be this hot button concern about left lane turtles, they’re a personal pet peeve of mine, but you have to let them complete the pass. There are exceptions- if you’re on cruise control, and only barely out pacing the car to the right, stop it! Tractor trailers on I81 - you know who you are. you need to get right and STAY right. if you can’t successfully make the pass in 10 seconds or less, get off the throttle and take up position in the right most lane.

tailgating doesn’t make people go faster, bunched up traffic actually slows the pace of traffic overall and specifically. If you back up off the bumper a bit, the 12 o’clock is likely to pick up pace; just downshift and be ready to out accelerate them.

Keep in mind, we get exposed to a lot of inattentive, irresponsible driving, but once in a while there is a legit reason - you could be behind someone with a pregnant passenger about to deliver, someone could be in medical distress, there could be kids/elderly on board, cargo preventing a faster pace, etc.

Wheelz96

Reaction score
When I lived up north you would get pulled over for riding in the fast lane without passing. Down south it seems the fast lane has a different meaning which I'm still trying to understand...

It's simple though, if your not passing anyone get out of the left lane. No reason to ride in it unless you are passing. Speed is irrelevant.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going a measly 10mph over the speed limit in the left lane when someone is behind you is a bitch move. Can’t sugar coat that for you anymore then that.

A Prius can do better then that.

Tailgating someone who is already going 10 mph over the speed limit to get them to go faster or switch to lane where they'd have to go slower than they want to is a bitch move.

Someone's desire to go 80 doesn't trump my desire to go 70.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@melvimbe beat me to it.

when someone comes up behind me as I am in the process of making a pass, I am not morally, legally, ethically or for the sake of common courtesy required to slow down, abandon the pass, and take up position behind a slower moving vehicle; neither is anyone else, nor should we expect them to. Of course, i hate being stuck behind them so I do my level best to not be the one holding people up.

Here's a typical situation. Two lane road, two cars on the right lane going 55 mph, spread about 100 ft apart from each other. Two cars in the left with me in the lead. I'm passing at about 65 mph, the guy behind me is matching my speed, but I have no idea if he wants to go faster or not. I can either pass both vehicles at once, or pass one, switch lanes and attempt to make the second pass. If I do the later though, there is a chance the other vehicle that looks to pass will either maintain speed, making it pointless for me to have ever switch lanes, or will only slightly increase speed, meaning that I'll have to slow down a bit to let him complete the pass of the two slower vehicles (plus mine since I now have to drive slow). In other words, he's doing exactly what I wanted to do to begin with, pass all the slower vehicles at once.

If the gap in the right lane is much bigger, than fine. I'll switch lanes to the right lane and the guy behind me can do the same or decide to pass me too. Or if the guy is clearly going to drive ridiculous and pass me and the others at 85-90, then I can switch lanes without having to slow. No problem. I don't want to be anywhere near that guy anyway.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If were talking about a situation where there is only one vehicle to pass in that second lane, then sure. However, I find that that's often not the case. There is often several cars in that second lane that I want to pass, and I don't want to get in that lane and slow down to 60 just because the guy behind me wants to go 80 instead of the 70 that I want to go. There is no preference to whoever is overtaking faster rule that you're claiming. None of us are the police, sure, but no police officer is going to claim I needed to switch lanes to accomodate someone going 80, when I am using the passing lane for what it's designed for...passing.

You are talking about something different now, which is people just driving in the left-lane and not passing anyone. As far as tailgating, there is never a time when it's ok to tailgate someone. It's not a matter of of being polite, it's a matter of safety. If the vehicle in front of you needs to brake quickly, you won't be able to stop in time. The idea that it's ok to tailgate someone because they won't get out of your way is just wrong. I'm not saying it's ok to drive slow in the fast or passing lane, but it's not justification for tailgating.

You were stressed out because the cars in front of you wouldn't let you go as fast as you wanted? Traffic sucks, yes, and I get annoyed by slow drivers, but stressed out by it?

Many of the people I see driving slow in the fast lane aren't ********, there just idiots or naive. Regardless, I don't think that one person's poor behavior justifies anyone else poor behavior, specifically tailgating.

I will if I'm not currently passing someone. If I am passing, but not fastest enough for the guy behind me...that's his/her problem, not mine.

When you said:
I usually find myself going up to 10 mph over the speed limit on highways, if traffic allows.

I thought you meant that you're already driving 10 mph over the limit and therefore don't need to give someone the way because the second lane is slower than what you want to drive.

But if you're passing and someone is passing faster than you, then you still really need to give them the way by safely moving into the second lane - despite them going slower than what you want to drive.

Yes, it's frustrating when people inconsiderately break the law by hogging the left lane, forcing me to break the law by either overtaking from the right or tailgating.
If I don't break the law in those two ways, I'm literally stuck bracbehind them.
I rarely tailgate. I'll either be forced to break the law and overtake from the right or I'll move over and let someone else tailgate them to infinity.

I live in a cosmopolitan city and spend the weekends in an even more cosmopolitan city. There's always traffic. And life is fast paced - I make it fast paced because I keep myself happily busy.
My time is precious.

Naive or idiot is one thing.
But looking at me him the rear mirror then not moving over is inconsiderate.
We've all seen that person who knows very well they should be moving over because they're hogging the passing lane while the second lane is is free. Sometimes they'll even aggressively gesture to me that I should overtake them from the second lane lol.

It gets frustrating because I've seen people overtake that person then brake check them.
This one time on the highway a frustrated range rover driver brake checked this lady in a mid size saloon so hard that she slammed on the brakes, slid into the shoulder lost control and did a 720°. All because she angrily gestured twice that she wasn't moving over and that he should overtake from the right.
She was very very very lucky that the cars behind her were so far away that they had time to slow down and not crash into her. I was in the second lane watching all this happen.
Which reflects the fact that even early in the day when there's no traffic, people will unnecessarily hog the left lane.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you said:
I usually find myself going up to 10 mph over the speed limit on highways, if traffic allows.

I thought you meant that you're already driving 10 mph over the limit and therefore don't need to give someone the way because the second lane is slower than what you want to drive.

But if you're passing and someone is passing faster than you, then you still really need to give them the way by safely moving into the second lane - despite them going slower than what you want to drive.

No, I do not.

Yes, it's frustrating when people inconsiderately break the law by hogging the left lane, forcing me to break the law by either overtaking from the right or tailgating.
If I don't break the law in those two ways, I'm literally stuck bracbehind them.
I rarely tailgate. I'll either be forced to break the law and overtake from the right or I'll move over and let someone else tailgate them to infinity.

You are forced to break the law? Really? I know you don't want to drive slower, but you can't really claim that the option of driving slower isn't an option.

I live in a cosmopolitan city and spend the weekends in an even more cosmopolitan city. There's always traffic. And life is fast paced - I make it fast paced because I keep myself happily busy.
My time is precious.

Naive or idiot is one thing.
But looking at me him the rear mirror then not moving over is inconsiderate.
We've all seen that person who knows very well they should be moving over because they're hogging the passing lane while the second lane is is free. Sometimes they'll even aggressively gesture to me that I should overtake them from the second lane lol.

That isn't the situation I was referring to, at least, depending on what you mean by the lane being 'free'. To me, a lane isn't free if I can't drive the speed I want to while you're passing me. Look at this way. If you're wanting to go 80, do you feel you need to slow down to 55 MPH so someone going 100 MPH can pass you? I don't. I might do it anyway just because someone driving that fast on a populated public road isn't someone I want to anywhere near, but that has nothing to do with being polite or following rules of the road, written or unwritten.

It gets frustrating because I've seen people overtake that person then brake check them.
This one time on the highway a frustrated range rover driver brake checked this lady in a mid size saloon so hard that she slammed on the brakes, slid into the shoulder lost control and did a 720°. All because she angrily gestured twice that she wasn't moving over and that he should overtake from the right.
She was very very very lucky that the cars behind her were so far away that they had time to slow down and not crash into her. I was in the second lane watching all this happen.
Which reflects the fact that even early in the day when there's no traffic, people will unnecessarily hog the left lane.

It sounds as if you're blaming the lady for the accident, not the range rover that brake checked her. She should have moved for sure, if she thought there was room to pass on the right, but that's not justification for brake checking..

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL - we only have 2 lane highways and I promise you I am not the one holding anyone up. But I also don't weave through traffic and pass people on the right to make things even worse during 5pm rush hour traffic. ******

It’s pretty simple. If the guy behind you was able to clear the car in the right lane, accelerate to a speed to pass you on the right, and still had plenty of space to make it back in front of you before coming to another car in that lane, then, yes, you were holding up the lane.

How is this so hard to understand?

Nozzle

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, this isn’t f-ing rocket surgery.

I’m not a fast driver. I set cruise at 5 or 6 over the speed limit, and stick to it. I may end up in the left lane for a mile or two, sometimes, but that’s only when I’m passing a line of trucks, and don’t have a safe place to get in between them. As soon as I clear, I get back in the right lane.

If there’s a gap that safe to get into, but I might be thinking about leap-frogging, and someone comes up behind me, clearly intending to go much faster than me, I’ll use that safe gap to let him pass, and then resume my pass.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frequency Hop to another pet peeve, one that I hate even worse than people like @NE Raptor :

People who slow down to below the speed limit, just because they see a cop, or aren’t using cruise control, and lose their nerve when passing a truck.

You’re either cruising along at a few over the speed limit in the left lane, the cop shows up on the horizon, and the guy in front of you slows down to 45.

Or, worse, you about to pass a truck in front of you, but see someone coming up fast from your rear, so you do the right thing and let them have the lane first. But, as soon as they get up to where you are, they slow down and essentially block you in.

The world better hope I never get a terminal disease, cause if I do, I’m going to become a highway folk hero.