Powertrax Pro MX Life Hack (Home Link Operates it!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is common knowledge...

not sure....

but I installed my new powertrax electric tonneau cover... and I was annoyed that I didn’t have an in truck solution for a switch.

then I started thinking about how I could hack it to make it possible. To do so I knew I would need to clone the signals.

In brainstorming.... I concluded it must be an RF based system... and If it is RF, it must also be encrypted. This lead me to believe they would likely turn to garage door opener technology.

I was right. I was able to EASILY program the 3 home link buttons inside the truck to key on the tonneau cover. Open, close, and bed light. So now, right on my visor, is my tonneau control! It’s beautiful.

of note... my garage doors are “smart” and so I can open and close them via my phone by an app or via my Phoenix tablet by an app so I don’t need the home link to open my doors.

For anyone looking for a quick and easy solution to having your retrax easily controlled from your cab, this is it.

I would imagine it would work for other electric tonneau as well, but you’d have to try it to see.

Last edited:

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is common knowledge...

not sure....

but I installed my new retrax pro MX electric tonneau cover... and I was annoyed that I didn’t have an in truck solution for a switch.

then I started thinking about how I could hack it to make it possible. To do so I knew I would need to clone the signals.

In brainstorming.... I concluded it must be an RF based system... and If it is RF, it must also be encrypted. This lead me to believe they would likely turn to garage door opener technology.

I was right. I was able to EASILY program the 3 home link buttons inside the truck to key on the tonneau cover. Open, close, and bed light. So now, right on my visor, is my tonneau control! It’s beautiful.

of note... my garage doors are “smart” and so I can open and close them via my phone by an app or via my Phoenix tablet by an app so I don’t need the home link to open my doors.

For anyone looking for a quick and easy solution to having your retrax easily controlled from your cab, this is it.

I would imagine it would work for other electric tonneau as well, but you’d have to try it to see.

This opener is also on my list of "First Mods". Is the cover controllable with a key type fob? I'm sure you researched them so who had the best price? Thanks

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comes with two key fobs but I’m over the moon that I can control it from in the truck now too.

Nick, Apollo Optics. He’s your guy. Had it to me in 3 days - and he’s a forum vender.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see where the Retrax Pro is electric. Looks to me like the Powertrax Pro is the only electric....unless I'm missing something.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't see where the Retrax Pro is electric. Looks to me like the Powertrax Pro is the only electric....unless I'm missing something.
No that is the one. Not a fan of anything electric that can break. The manual one is preferred by me. Works great.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No that is the one. Not a fan of anything electric that can break. The manual one is preferred by me. Works great.

I think I read somewhere that it'll still work if there is a problem with the electric.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah powertrax. Retrax. Whatever. It’s an electric tonneau and I can control it via my home link garage door opener in the truck.

It has a manual release if the motor stops.