POLL: If Ford offers engine option (V6 and V8), which one would you pick?

Which engine would you choose in the 2017 raptor?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the reasons for this thread/poll is that *supposedly* ford marketing keeps tabs on forums to track what the customers want. If this Poll is any indication of what the masses want, hopefully they will take it into consideration.

Ford is not going to ignore the wants of the masses because they think it will hurt the V6 marketing plan. They are a business, and they will sell what people want. Or hopefully in this case, offer options.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Reaction score
the 3.5 is Fords baby, I just don't see them getting away from it. I guess I could see a dodge ram SRT-10 type deal where they drop in the GT engine, big part of me feels they'd let the raptors dwindle away as to not taint any image of their precious 3.5... I know the Raptor is a giant money maker but i've never seen a company pimp an engine like Ford has been.

Key

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets be real here, if a V8TT were to be put into the raptor, it would likely be a $25,000+ option through ford racing, which would put it out of reach of many sane buyers. Me? Who needs kidneys anyway?

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha "300ZX TT" and "bulletproof" don't go together. "Money grubbing ****" is more like it.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

@beachz

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This poll is pretty stupid. It's like asking which is better....$35 or $50? Well apples to apples, $50 is of course more desired than $35. Of course there's a few outliers that will have some round about wack ball rationale of "well maybe $35 is better because I'll have to claim less taxes on miscellaneous income so maybe in the end the $35 will net me greater than $50", and there you have your 2 in 100 voting for $35 over $50.

Apples to apples an ecoboost 3.5 V6 vs an ecoboost 5.0 V8, in a gluttenous truck like a Raptor, pretty much everyone's going to choose the faster apple. If this were a regular f150 poll I'd expect different results as some people would be more inclined to want to save $1k on sticker, or get an extra 2 mpg at the sacrifice of 50-100 hp, but for a Raptor crowd, I could have called these poll results before it was even posted.

You want an interesting poll, make it 3.5 Ecoboost V6 vs. N/A V8. Then it's not "which is better $35 or $50", it's "which is better, $40 cash or $40 in gold".

Between a V6 TT and a V8 TT, I of course picked V8 TT. But now between a V6 TT and a V8 N/A......I'd go V6 TT in a heartbeat.

Let's see we start with a 5.4 made an option for a 6.2 quit making the 5.4 for lack of interest now let's try and shove a v6 at them and see what happens. Death of raptor, yes your going to sell some but I won't be buying one with out test driving it. The 6.2 I didn't need to test drive.

The 5.4 was on it's death bed before the 6.2 even hit the option sheet. It didn't die off because lack of interest. It died off because it was dead before the 6.2 even hit the option sheet. But that's the same kind of question as this poll. Would you prefer a 5.4 N/A V8 or a 6.2 N/A V8....a derrrr the one with more power and pretty much same fuel economy. Same question for V6 TT vs V8 TT.

BUT, just offering a V6 TT and no other options won't be the death of the Raptor. Ecoboost sales used to be 40% of all f150 engine choices, and V6 sales in total over 60%. I bet that number has risen even further since a few years ago. The Raptor is more about it's offroad capability, appearance, suspension, etc. than the engine under the hood. Very very very few guys are out there drag racing them, and the 3.5 EB can easily mop the floor with a 5.4 Raptor, and is right on par with the performance of the 6.2, and has already been stated to make MORE power than the 6.2, so if they're INCREASING the performance of the Gen 2, how is that the death of the Raptor by making it faster? Yes the exhaust note isn't the world's best, but that isn't going to destroy the sales.

They offer the v6 and v8 in the mustang, and the consumer has the option. So it's not out of question they would offer the option in the raptor.

That is a terrible analogy. They only offer ONE engine in the GT500 and ONE engine in the GT350/GT350R, which are the mustang equivalents of a Raptor in terms of being the specialty model of that vehicle line. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying there's no real rationale for them to offer engine choices in the Raptor just because they offer engine choices in a regular mustang. Typically their high performance/specialty line of vehicles they don't offer engine choices.

Gen 1 & Gen 2 Lightnings offered no engine choices
Gen 1 & Gen 2 Harley trucks offered no engine choices
GT500's offered no engine choices
GT350/GT350R's offer no engine choices
03-04 Cobras offered no engine choices
Boss Mustangs offered no engine choices
etc. etc. etc.

The only reason the 2010 Raptor offered an engine choice for a short period of time was the 6.2 wasn't ready for the release and the outdated 5.4 was available. Once the 6.2 was ready they kept the 5.4 around just so they could still get the trucks out the door as 6.2 production ramped up. Once 6.2's were in full swing the 5.4 was off the table.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha "300ZX TT" and "bulletproof" don't go together. "Money grubbing ****" is more like it.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

@beachz

I owned mine for 11 years. That was not my experience. It was putting down 528 rwhp on the race gas tune when I got rid of it. I never put a dime in it that wasn't maintenance or mod related with the exception of a failed MAF. I think that was ~$300. I did all of my own work. God knows I would not have wanted to have to pay anyone else to work on it though. Bend over!!!

That being said. I saw plenty that were not taken care of and I would NEVER have owned. Vacuum/boost leaks, corroded connectors, injector failures (after ethanol mix) were the biggest issues. The VG30DETT and the rest of the drivetrain were rock solid. I never babied it and tracked it often.

Mishimota.jpg

RWM_8477.jpg

Last edited: