Perch Mod Discussion

Mid perch or no?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenStarke

Reaction score
I don’t think it will fit. It’s tough with stock offset wheels on mid perch. You’d have to go high perch and hammer in the pinch welds in the fender.

Also keep in mind you’re offset is gonna make the truck as wide as a lane and up north they don’t get any bigger lol

37’s and 0 offset seems to be the ideal setup

I live out in eastern Long Island so its not AS bad like NYC or even western Nassau county. the -12 just has that little bit of poking out and seems like a nice stance. Maybe I'll do 35's. I'm really trying require a leveling kit at the most.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I live out in eastern Long Island so its not AS bad like NYC or even western Nassau county. the -12 just has that little bit of poking out and seems like a nice stance. Maybe I'll do 35's. I'm really trying require a leveling kit at the most.
I would do geiser springs and low perch OR Mid perch and stock springs regardless of tire size as it is the "leveling kit" in this world and it fixes the rake these have. These trucks don't like offset but you can stuff a big tire under there if you play it safe (Unlike GM trucks)

0 offset will bring you flush to the fender

n204life

Reaction score
So I've tried reading all 159 pages, but my ADHD kicked in. I took out one of the two shocks today to do mid perch to stop my rubbing on 35x12.50. I beat that ******** thing like it owed me money and was my redheaded stepchild. I couldn't get the collar to move 1mm. Set screw removed, soaked that thing in tons of PB & WD. I F'd my collar up by beating it so hard (Got a little mad and stubborn :mad:) so it looks like I'll be adding that to parts I need to replace. But still couldn't get it to move.

Do I have any other options outside of taking it to a shop with a proper press to get it to move? Is there a trick I missed? It seems pretty rusted on there.

I'm kinda on a budget with all the stuff im replacing so I'm trying to save a couple bucks and make these damn tires on it fit as it came that way.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've tried reading all 159 pages, but my ADHD kicked in. I took out one of the two shocks today to do mid perch to stop my rubbing on 35x12.50. I beat that ******** thing like it owed me money and was my redheaded stepchild. I couldn't get the collar to move 1mm. Set screw removed, soaked that thing in tons of PB & WD. I F'd my collar up by beating it so hard (Got a little mad and stubborn :mad:) so it looks like I'll be adding that to parts I need to replace. But still couldn't get it to move.

Do I have any other options outside of taking it to a shop with a proper press to get it to move? Is there a trick I missed? It seems pretty rusted on there.

I'm kinda on a budget with all the stuff im replacing so I'm trying to save a couple bucks and make these damn tires on it fit as it came that way.
I didn't remove it but simply compressed the spring, removed set screw, slid collar up and moved retaining clip, reset screw and uncompressed coil.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thats pretty common with doing the perch mod. That retaining ring is raw steel and it just corrodes the crap out of the perch and the shock body. Best thing to do is take it off, remove the spring and pour some white vinegar in there and let it set. The vinegar will eat the rust and you can wire brush some of it off. then repeat. once it looks clean, you can go at it with a sledge. Since i don't think you're rebuilding your shocks, make sure you put it in a pipe or something so the shaft is suspended while hitting the perch on the bottom. I've had a fair share that are stuck beyond belief and only had to cut one.

n204life

Reaction score
I didn't remove it but simply compressed the spring, removed set screw, slid collar up and moved retaining clip, reset screw and uncompressed coil.
Well yah, that kind of was like what I was really hoping to only do. But after 150k miles it's not so easy
Thats pretty common with doing the perch mod. That retaining ring is raw steel and it just corrodes the crap out of the perch and the shock body. Best thing to do is take it off, remove the spring and pour some white vinegar in there and let it set. The vinegar will eat the rust and you can wire brush some of it off. then repeat. once it looks clean, you can go at it with a sledge. Since i don't think you're rebuilding your shocks, make sure you put it in a pipe or something so the shaft is suspended while hitting the perch on the bottom. I've had a fair share that are stuck beyond belief and only had to cut one.
Good call on the vinegar. I did air hammer the steel collar ring on the bottom (the one the spring base rest on) and was able to rotate it around but it didnt help. I'll try to take it out again and pour vinegar all around and let it sit and hope to god it will move again! This time I'll go to the steel yard and find a piece of pipe to fit over so I have a more even directional force on the perch instead of hitting the edges.
And yes I did have the spring out while trying this.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yah, that kind of was like what I was really hoping to only do. But after 150k miles it's not so easy

Good call on the vinegar. I did air hammer the steel collar ring on the bottom (the one the spring base rest on) and was able to rotate it around but it didnt help. I'll try to take it out again and pour vinegar all around and let it sit and hope to god it will move again! This time I'll go to the steel yard and find a piece of pipe to fit over so I have a more even directional force on the perch instead of hitting the edges.
And yes I did have the spring out while trying this.
good luck. i also have a 20 ton press and the only way i've been able to get them to move is a 5lb sledge. beats the crap out of the perch but its the bottom side so its not like you can see it. Also, remove the decal/wrap above the perch as it won't slide over it easily.

n204life

Reaction score
This thing is going to kill me! Its been soaking in vinegar, I got a 8lb sledge and banging the crap out of it. 0 movement. Whoever decided to put an uncoated steel snap ring has a special place in automotive hell. Got a 4x4 with a 1" hole drilled through it for the shock to sit on and a 4" steel pipe. 20240123_112154.jpg

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. That’s what i have to do when i rebuild. I’d try without the pipe though. You with mar up the perch but eventually it should break loose. You need all the shock loading you can get and you’ll lose a lot hitting the pipe

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. More time soaking like overnight? Helped my neighbor do his before I bought mine. I remember us hitting one from both sides to break it loose. Good luck!