Order or wait?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've thought about holding back and seeing if a v8 does become available but unless it had more than 450 hp I wouldn't want it over the v6, the v6 with borla exhaust sounds pretty good from videos I've watched and heard. I just don't know what in the world to do. Placeing order and not lose anything if I decide to cancel is best

A friend has the Tundra TRD Pro. His V8 sounds badass, but he gets 13mpg going downhill with a tailwind. I get 17mpg combined in a dramatically faster truck. While the V6TT doesn't growl, it is awesome hearing the turbos spool as you are pushed into the seat.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True and and with 450 hp more I think about I really don't care. I just want the bad ass truck in my driveway next to my super bad ass Nissan Altima :)

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
It is not about the speed or the horsepower. The ecoboost v6 has proven to be very problematic and expensive to fix.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you own one with a lot of problems? I was not aware of them being Lemons, I've heard pretty much all good things about them. I'm glad you told me this because so do not want to order my dream truck and be all messed up staying in the shop all the time. So what problems have you had or having currently with your truck? Do you think the problems could be addressed and fixed in the 2018s?

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

It shouldn't be too expensive to fix any v6 ecoboost engine problems I wouldn't think. I would use my warranty, not paying to fix anything on a new truck that's for sure. But I don't want to be in the shop all the time that's for sure, I've also looked at f150 king ranchs, if the raptor is a lemon I will just get a king ranch

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you own one with a lot of problems? I was not aware of them being Lemons, I've heard pretty much all good things about them. I'm glad you told me this because so do not want to order my dream truck and be all messed up staying in the shop all the time. So what problems have you had or having currently with your truck? Do you think the problems could be addressed and fixed in the 2018s?

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

It shouldn't be too expensive to fix any v6 ecoboost engine problems I wouldn't think. I would use my warranty, not paying to fix anything on a new truck that's for sure. But I don't want to be in the shop all the time that's for sure, I've also looked at f150 king ranchs, if the raptor is a lemon I will just get a king ranch

Ignore Sasquatch77. For a reason that only he knows, he's made it his mission in life to slam the EcoBoost every chance he gets. He pretty much lives on these forums and does nothing but trash the Raptor and EcoBoost engines.

Some people have had problems with their trucks, but it is not unusual for a few defects to show up in a fleet of 25,000 units. Most problems seem to be rare with the only exception being an oil leak that Ford has since created a fix for.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score

There has been a higher than acceptable failure rate on these engines. They were *supposed* to be different than the previous generation ecoboost, but the same inherent design issues were carried over. This is an expensive engine when it begins having problems and failures... ask the current ecoboost community and they will verify this. If you want reliability, get anything other than an ecoboost engine.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ignore Sasquatch77. For a reason that only he knows, he's made it his mission in life to slam the EcoBoost every chance he gets. He pretty much lives on these forums and does nothing but trash the Raptor and EcoBoost engines.

Thank God he got booted from ford-trucks.com It's peaceful over there now.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't worry, the Ecoboost HO is a great engine. Our resident troll doesn't even have a G2, just likes to spend his days here and misguide people because of some deep seeded jealousy or maybe mental illness. The moderation is non-existent on FRF these days so there's nothing you can do about it, but other forums banned his nonsense.

I've had one of the first batch of G2's for 7 months now, put 15k miles on and not had a single issue. I'm a big V8 fan, but I'm glad the new Ecoboost HO is in the truck because it kicks ass. I've had everything from Cummins/Powerstroke trucks, to my 440 EFI powered 68 Charger, Hemi's and GM LS's, AMG Twin Turbo V8's... doesn't matter, this Ecoboost is a great powerplant and the new Raptor is an incredible truck, worth every penny.

It's been beaten to death here, but the odds of Ford making a V8 Raptor are slim at best, and even if they do you'll have an incredible truck and not be waiting years to see it materialize.