Odd noise in engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bp299

Reaction score
So the other day I'm working in the garage and I hear this intermittent hi pitch noise coming from the front of my truck. Every 5-10 seconds. I pop the hood and its definitely coming from engine bay. Thought maybe pressure in the coolant overflow-Nope. Start the engine, then shut it off. Goes away.

Tonight I'm at my bro in laws and I go out to get a sweatshirt and I hear it again. This time, I tap start button top see if it goes away. Still there. Then, while start button is on, I kill the power to climate control while ACC is still on and it goes away.

No check engine and only mods are BD designs pocket & back up LED's and tailgate release relay, both to upfitters. 2k miles on an 18 802A SCREW.

Anyone else have this happen?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I've heard it, sounds like a modem trying to connect of something in mine. I go out after at least a hour and it is definitely doing something. Anyone have any ideas? 2017 with 5000 miles.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an air leak to me. I haven't spent enough time researching the shop manual yet, but it may be the vacuum pump required to provide brake booster vacuum. The normal manifold vacuum isn't present when the manifold has positive pressure from the turbo(s), so a pump is used all the time. The 2.3 Ecoboost drives it at one end of the exhaust cam, but I can't say where on the 3.5.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be some sort of fault indicator. From the FORD ST Forum: "This is 100% normal. If you drive a 2014 model it would have existed from delivery. If you have a 2013 model and went in for service, the dealer may have updated your PCM strategy to the latest 2014 variant. We recently updated our products to utilize the 2014 strategy and unfortunately by nature introduced this beeping phenomenon to a lot of 2013 vehicles. Luckily, we found the code that Ford added which causes this and have eliminated the beeping from the sound symposer. This "fix" will be available in our upcoming v201 calibrations and Accesstuner software later this month."

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be some sort of fault indicator. From the FORD ST Forum: "This is 100% normal. If you drive a 2014 model it would have existed from delivery. If you have a 2013 model and went in for service, the dealer may have updated your PCM strategy to the latest 2014 variant. We recently updated our products to utilize the 2014 strategy and unfortunately by nature introduced this beeping phenomenon to a lot of 2013 vehicles. Luckily, we found the code that Ford added which causes this and have eliminated the beeping from the sound symposer. This "fix" will be available in our upcoming v201 calibrations and Accesstuner software later this month."

FYI, the quote you have posted is from the Focus ST folks and the sound symposer is inside the vehicle cabin operating through the sound system speakers, with fake engine "noise" never to be heard outside the vehicle.

The Gen2 Raptor has a similar fake engine "noise" system, but the noise heard outside the vehicle is not from a sound symposer.

Royden

Reaction score
Just a guess.

First post! So glad to join the group this week.

Seems like a few people are hearing this odd noise.
Tonight heard a noise, and thought of this thread.
I crawled up under the truck and was listening for the source.

Just a guess, but I think this is something to do with 4A.

I was parked in 4A when this noise was coming and going.
Decided to switch the truck back over to standard 2H.
Closed the door and listened for a few minutes.
I did not hear the noise anymore.

If anyone is experiencing this noise are you in 4A?

Thanks,
Royden

Attachments

• first - Copy.jpg
    first - Copy.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 42

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post! So glad to join the group this week.

Seems like a few people are hearing this odd noise.
Tonight heard a noise, and thought of this thread.
I crawled up under the truck and was listening for the source.

Just a guess, but I think this is something to do with 4A.

I was parked in 4A when this noise was coming and going.
Decided to switch the truck back over to standard 2H.
Closed the door and listened for a few minutes.
I did not hear the noise anymore.

If anyone is experiencing this noise are you in 4A?

Thanks,
Royden
Welcome! Nice observation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc