noise from rear of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is all sort of strange. I know the front of the truck, the shocks I would assume, can be hard over normal street bumps at times. Meaning, you can feel the bumps though the floor boards, like a shock is slamming the tires to the ground, but again I DO think that is normal given the shock set up. I know the front has a different feel than my FX4 did, not loose per say, just different. I check and all is tight, so I do think the shocks on this truck are harsher on certain surfaces.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same "clunk" sound and always thought it was the rear shock noise I always read about here. When I read about the weight, I wanted to find out once and for all what the noise was. Saturday I dropped my spare to check out the weight and when I went underneath the truck to move the spare I heard the familiar "clunk." Sure enough, the piece that holds the spare in place hitting against the rim of the spare was it. As long as I was under there, I checked out the weight. It is well isolated and no matter how I slapped it around, it made no noise.. The rubber mounting feels thick and I can with certainty say that's not the issue here. I put the spare back in place and cranked it up there until the "hand-winch" wouldn't let me tighten it anymore. Seems as though they make it that way so the spare is not over-torqued. Monday I ran the truck over the same speed bump in the parking lot where I work that always makes the truck make the clunk noise I hear every day. Bada Bing, no more noise! I may just pick up some rubber gasket material and isolate the spare tire from the carrier bracket that holds it up, just to be on the safe side, I hated that noise and I want to make sure that even if the tire loosens up over time, there will be no way it can clunk. Hope this helps!

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same "clunk" sound and always thought it was the rear shock noise I always read about here. When I read about the weight, I wanted to find out once and for all what the noise was. Saturday I dropped my spare to check out the weight and when I went underneath the truck to move the spare I heard the familiar "clunk." Sure enough, the piece that holds the spare in place hitting against the rim of the spare was it. As long as I was under there, I checked out the weight. It is well isolated and no matter how I slapped it around, it made no noise.. The rubber mounting feels thick and I can with certainty say that's not the issue here. I put the spare back in place and cranked it up there until the "hand-winch" wouldn't let me tighten it anymore. Seems as though they make it that way so the spare is not over-torqued. Monday I ran the truck over the same speed bump in the parking lot where I work that always makes the truck make the clunk noise I hear every day. Bada Bing, no more noise! I may just pick up some rubber gasket material and isolate the spare tire from the carrier bracket that holds it up, just to be on the safe side, I hated that noise and I want to make sure that even if the tire loosens up over time, there will be no way it can clunk. Hope this helps!

Great write up! Thanks for the info.

tango68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same noise.. It was almost like a cross between a clunk and graunch. My dealer told me that ther was a TSB open on it and no action was required as it was a normal noise. I didn't accept and on my first 5000km service they pulled and greased the drive shaft... guess what noise is gone!
My dealer says that Ford did not want them to do that as it would now mean that they would have to continue to do that to stop the noise coming back! my answer ... Oh Well, I'm sure my ESP service plan will cover it!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Had the same thing. Ran the spare down a little bit then reseated it, no more clunk. Id like to get a tiregate... I have a bed mount from tire gate, but it takes alot of room. I used it in Baja when I ran two spares.

Reaction score
I had the same "clunk" sound and always thought it was the rear truck shocks noise I always read about here. When I read about the weight, I wanted to find out once and for all what the noise was. Saturday I dropped my spare to check out the weight and when I went underneath the truck to move the spare I heard the familiar "clunk." Sure enough, the piece that holds the spare in place hitting against the rim of the spare was it. As long as I was under there, I checked out the weight. It is well isolated and no matter how I slapped it around, it made no noise.. The rubber mounting feels thick and I can with certainty say that's not the issue here. I put the spare back in place and cranked it up there until the "hand-winch" wouldn't let me tighten it anymore. Seems as though they make it that way so the spare is not over-torqued. Monday I ran the truck over the same speed bump in the parking lot where I work that always makes the truck make the clunk noise I hear every day. Bada Bing, no more noise! I may just pick up some rubber gasket material and isolate the spare tire from the carrier bracket that holds it up, just to be on the safe side, I hated that noise and I want to make sure that even if the tire loosens up over time, there will be no way it can clunk. Hope this helps!

I got this same noise from my truck, dealer also suggested me that this was due to my shocks. They advised me to buy new one and so i did. When the new shocks were already installed, I can still hear the clunk sound. I think I better try your way JohntheDrummer. I hope i can fix this asap, too much time and money were already wasted. :(