No Snakes....Just Arches...Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I remember most about my trip to Moab years ago was the “Don’t bust the crust” signs. Out in the great wide open and you were told to not stay a foot off the designated path.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
What I remember most about my trip to Moab years ago was the “Don’t bust the crust” signs. Out in the great wide open and you were told to not stay a foot off the designated path.
If that’s what you remember most about a trip to Moab?? You really need to get a camera and start EXPLORING…:banana-mario::driver:

Don’t Bust the Crust not only applies to the Desert but our entire Country. North, South, East, West…
Busting the crust on the Rubicon Trail applies equally there as it does on the Trails, both 4x4 and 4xFoot in Moab, Lake Mead, Zion, Glacier etc.
If you Practice Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly Principles our impact can/will be minimized. I will argue that a footprint does less damage than a Moron leaving their MFing trash ;) or an Idiot afraid to go over a rock so they make “bypass” trail damaging the surrounding area resulting in Trail Closure by the local/ Fed government.
We don’t need to go “All Edward Abbey” and restrict the movement of every public resource user, thinking we can FIX STUPIDITY by doing so. The Military Mentality of punish the Masses for the sins of the few doesn’t work for me. Find the offenders and offer a “Blanket Party” works wonders for attitude adjustment ;)
Bottom line…. 50 years from now, no one will know/care I existed :head3::patriot:

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree and try not to step on "the crust". What I have a problem with is the lying we are always subjected to. I guess they feel they have to lie to get the point across. I have seen the "crust" repair itself in about 1 year. Saying it will take a thousand years to repair is an out and out lie. Still, I agree to treat the land carefully and be respectful.

Unlike John, no one will know/care I existed in about 15 years, probably much sooner. :cool:

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I totally agree and try not to step on "the crust". What I have a problem with is the lying we are always subjected to. I guess they feel they have to lie to get the point across. I have seen the "crust" repair itself in about 1 year. Saying it will take a thousand years to repair is an out and out lie. Still, I agree to treat the land carefully and be respectful.

Unlike John, no one will know/care I existed in about 15 years, probably much sooner. :cool:
The write up from the USFS even speaks to your truth. The “Repair” of the Crust damage is dependent on many factors, including wind, rain temperatures, usage etc.
Common sense should prevail, but rarely does :(