No gps?? (2019)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgt1031

Reaction score
I have never used by gps as I am a big fan of Waze via apple CarPlay. I just realized I have a “no gps” indicator on my nav display. While driving, the map moves, but it’s not accurate.
Any way for me to try something without going back to the dealer???

Also, I have the truck setup to my home WiFi, but does it still receive updates after I turn the car off. Every time I start it, I’m leaving, so it wouldn’t get much of the info if it had to be on to update.

Otherwise, I love the truck!

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never used by gps as I am a big fan of Waze via apple CarPlay. I just realized I have a “no gps” indicator on my nav display. While driving, the map moves, but it’s not accurate.
Any way for me to try something without going back to the dealer???

Also, I have the truck setup to my home WiFi, but does it still receive updates after I turn the car off. Every time I start it, I’m leaving, so it wouldn’t get much of the info if it had to be on to update.

Otherwise, I love the truck!

The updates will take awhile (I've owned mine for over four months, and still keep getting prompted without an actual update). I plan to update via USB when I get around to it.

As for the no GPS indicator, I receive that from time to time. But like you, I use waze and whenever the no GPS pops up on the native nav, it doesn't bother me. Tbh, sync is a mess. I've tried to stop getting frustrated by the bugs and usability issues. I'm just hoping Ford gets a true dev team behind it (hint: outsource to a vendor) or embraces ACP or Android Auto to the point where the displays are truly just that: Displays.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck will not update when it is turned off. It also won't tell you it has completed it. The best way is to do it with the USB. There was an update about am month ago, so you should do it.

I agree sync is not the best. For example, I have the unlimited data plan in the truck and it still won't update unless I am on a wi-fi signal. Even then it doesn't seem to update when you are driving, even if I have it connected to my phone (data) by wi-fi.

As far as the GPS, mine has always worked. You might try rebooting the sync to see if that fixes it. If not, go to the dealer.

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is update SYNC with a USB drive. I was having issues with radio/nav/backup camera on my 2019. Tried to update over the air with home WiFi with no luck. Ford was ready to swap out my SYNC module. Figured I would try the hard download first before the dealership monkeys ripped my dash apart. Knock on wood, the hard update was successful, and I have not experienced any of the old issues I had experienced before update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be the APIM malfunctioning. I had the same issue last year and dealer replaced it.

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you get the ‘hard’ update?

I googled “Ford SYNC update” and followed the instructions. You have to use a new/empty USB, and format it. Formatting and loading the USB took the most time. Once it’s done, you just plug it in the port and it auto uploads.

I actually still have the program loaded on the USB which is sitting in my cup holder and would be happy to send it to you to borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk