[Nevada/California] Tonopah to Las Vegas to Thermal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on a multi day trip at the beginning of March. The trip will definitely consist of driving from Tonopah to Las Vegas, but if there is interest we could also tack on a route before that from Carson City to Tonopah.

I am making my way down to Thermal CA for what is normally the Tierra Del Sol, but that has been cancelled this year, so it has turned into just a camping trip in Ocotillo Wells.

I have maps charting all the off road parts and would welcome others who want to escape into the desert.

The pace of this drive will be moderate since no prerun will be made. Think, overlanding with the possibility of standing on the pedal, just for fun, at times.

People interested should have trucks that are well maintained, have a VHF radio, Lowrance or equivalent, auxiliary lighting, spare tire(s) and extra water and gas. I'm looking for easy going people who just like wheeling.

For those interested, at the very minimum, this could be a day trip from Tonopah to Las Vegas. If you are interested in the route from Carson City to Tonopah and/or the route from LV to Thermal, that would add on another day of travel for each leg.

PM me if you are interested and I will send you the dates, maps and my overall plan. Would love to have company on this ride!

run1.jpg

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested. I live in San Diego with family in Carson City. I took that route returning from Raptor Assault, it would be fun to transverse that route overland.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can fly in and just play craps all week while you guys get your trucks dirty. Show me your pictures and I am good to fly home with all my winnings!!!!

AnacortesTom

Reaction score
I highly recommend the canyon sin nombre off s2 through devils drop off into fish creek. One of the best trips in that area. My family have property in borrego springs and I spent decades exploring the anza borrego desert. Going from the s2 side the drop off is doable in a stock raptor with proper rock placement in a couple of tight areas to keep from hanging up on the running boards. The washes through there are some of the best anywhere. Stop through the mud caves while on the trip and don’t worry about the California style warning signs. Those caves have been there for 1000’s of years. I have pics in another post of that trip and it included the tightest spots. Doing it from west to east is the only way for a stock raptor to do it. Let me know if you need any advice