Need to shorten my antenna.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t pick up my truck until tomorrow, so I don’t have one to do the measurements on yet. I really like the concept of shortening the mast to a couple of inches above the roofline as a low clearance warning device. When I off-road I plan on removing the mast but parking garages are a fear of mine with a high profile vehicle. How much above the the roofline did the 4 inch chop leave you?

I just measured the antenna at 7' so stock would be 7'4". I believe a stock Raptor is listed at 78.5" high so there still is 5.5" between the antenna and the top. The parking garage I use is 7'2" so I'm happy with 4" cut. You could probably do a bit more, all depends on the garages you visit.

Schmagagled

Reaction score
I removed my antenna and replaced it with a 1/4-20 half inch black anodized phillips head screw. Blends right in with the mount. I don't listen to radio, and if I did it would be the XM radio anyway. So don't need antenna.

S

Attachments

• 1-4-20.png
    1-4-20.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 286

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a vehicle antenna is a standard height for a reason. its 31.5 inches long. the reason for that is because its 1/4 wavelength at 1 watt.

Not sure what the 1 watt has to to do with it...but continuing...radio stations come in best when your receiver is tuned to the same frequency as the transmitter and your antenna resonates with the radio wave you're trying to receive. An antenna will work best when it is matched to the wave that you are catching...and length matters in getting it to resonate in sync.

FM 88-108 MHz (each .2MHz wide)
3.4m–2.8m wavelength

AM 0.530MHz-1.610MHz
600m–176m wavelength

FM at 100MHz: 1/4 wavelength = 75 cm (29.5")

For AM radio, pretty much anything metal will work and length matters little because you're talking football field length waves. FM is really what you want to be concerned with.

I opted to approximate an 1/8 wavelength with the 15" version.

Looks to be identical construction to the factory OEM. Still get all the stations I'd preset including HD ones.

And no sloppy floppy, limpy gimpy, wet noodle like you eventually get with the rubber ducky stubbies. Also not prone to drunks cranking on them: "yo bro, check it out! This truck has a 50 cal shell casing on..." SNAP!!

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 42

Johngm45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
e2790c6b08615c19f552f8e91509c521.jpg

Bully Stick solves that problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregspirt

Reaction score
I’ve got the .50 caliber bullet antenna which are available all over online. No reception problems at all so far.

Johngm45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a different Recon one in brushed. Radio reception is a little iffy at times
db19b4ac4fdf6d82bc0aca7ac62f76ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was parking in an elevated garage structure at work which was marked as 6'-10 overhead clearance. About every 20 feet I'd pass under a concrete beam and my antenna would slap it going under. Well, after a few trips I notice the ball was gone. Then the little spiral wire unwrapped and I broke it off at the base of the antenna.

One day at home I got a cut off disk and looked to see how high up the antenna the coating was missing from wear. I cut off about 4 inches and problem is now solved. I don't notice a difference in the reception. There is no vibration from wind either.

I think it's good as is.