My Experiences Trying to Buy a Raptor over the last 8 months.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stay away from the highway dealers...I called the mom and pop dealer I bought an Explorer from 10 years ago to order an 18. They wanted 3k over, MSRP took 5 minutes to get to.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you are willing to order you may have pretty good luck getting one at MSRP. If you want one off of the lot then just go online and look up every dealer in your state that has a Raptor in stock. Just start blasting out emails and see if anyone will bite.

BudTX

Reaction score
I live in the KC area as well, and went through some of the similar gyrations.

Olathe Ford, Louisburg Ford, **** Smith Ford, Bob Allen Ford, and several others did not want to even entertain anything less than $5k-$10k over MSRP. I ended up ordering one from Dave Littleton Ford up in Smithville at MSRP. They actually wanted my business, and still made a tidy profit.

GutweinMCP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '18 SCREW in Magnetic 802A we just got in today @ MSRP. Lemme know if you are interested! We are out of state but I own the place so don't have to worry about any games.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're not trying very hard at all. You do a drive by and once the salesman tells you the asking price you drive off because the number wasn't what you wanted to hear. Try going in and actually negotiating, it may surprise you. Also as far as having to buy in state because of taxes that's false as well. Most any dealer can register and figure the taxes in your state and county. It may take a few weeks extra to get the tags but dealers do it all the time.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're not trying very hard at all. You do a drive by and once the salesman tells you the asking price you drive off because the number wasn't what you wanted to hear. Try going in and actually negotiating, it may surprise you.

Agree with above and...

TRY USING THE TELEPHONE. Why you and your wife are driving around visiting dealers (and waiting for a salesman to greet you outside?!) is beyond ridiculous. If you don't value your time why should car dealers?

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with above and...

TRY USING THE TELEPHONE. Why you and your wife are driving around visiting dealers (and waiting for a salesman to greet you outside?!) is beyond ridiculous. If you don't value your time why should car dealers?
I hate to say it OP, but I agree with these guys. I've owned/purchased 3 Raptors, I paid under MSRP for all of them.

Driving around and looking at Raptors on the lot and waiting for a salesman to approach you is not the way to get a good deal. I personally ordered each Raptor after coming to an agreed price with the GM of a small town Ford dealer about an hour away. We worked out the trade allowance and everything ahead of time. You'll need to forego instant gratification if you want to find the best price.

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experiences are very much like the OP's. I've never seen car dealers with such attitude.

It's even worse if you're looking for a SCAB, strictly an order out. It doesn't even seem like they care to do that for you unless it's MSRP+5K.

I found a SCAB 300 miles away and filled out the online form. He did call me back and the best he could do would be MSRP+$1500. I passed it would be a PITA getting it. I'm no rush here, I'm going to wait it out.

What's strange is the local trucks are sitting on the lots gathering dust.

Mike

benjaminlox

Reaction score
I live in OP, went through all the same shit you did in KC. It turned me in to a straight ****. But I was able to get just under MSRP at Louisberg, after being a raging *******. So yah, in general, **** KC ford area.

Long rant, but I am VERY frustrated with shady Ford dealerships in KC.

Story #1 (April):
2017 White Raptor sitting on the lot at Olathe Ford. Listed for 10k over MSRP. The wife and I pull into the lot on a Saturday afternoon. The truck is locked. After 20 minutes of waiting, I walked inside the dealership to see if I could get help. After getting the attention of a salesman, he walks outside to unlock the truck. I ask him the price, he points at the window without saying a word. I ask if my wife and I can take it for a drive. "No. This is a special edition vehicle in limited qualities. We do not allow test drives." Fun Fact, the truck shows over 300 miles on the odometer...

On to the next dealership.

Story #2 (June):
Louisburg Ford has a White 2017 Raptor listed on their website. 2 2018's to be delivered. The 2017 is listed at MSRP. I contact the dealer, they want 10k over on the 2017. I ask why they have it listed at MSRP. Instead of answering the question, they tell my why I should buy a Platinum F150 as they are, "almost the same thing but with a few different options." I hang up.

Story #3 (November):
I spot a 2018 White Raptor listed on Bob Allen Ford's website (spotted on dealership's website on Thanksgiving afternoon). This dealership also has this same truck listed on Autotrader.com & Cars.com. The truck is listed for MSRP. The wife and I go to the dealership on Black Friday. Upon arriving at the dealership, we are greeted by a salesman. The truck has grease pen markings on the windows and protective wrap/stickers from shipment. This truck has obviously not been detailed since arrival. The dealer informs me the truck was sold on Tuesday... Autotrader.com shows the truck as listed on Wednesday (the day after it sold?).

Regardless, On to the next dealership...

Story #4 (November):
Sunday night after Thanksgiving, I spot a 2018 White Raptor on Metro Ford's website. Listed for 5k below MSRP. I call the dealership within minutes of 8:30AM store opening on Monday morning. Sales guy confirms the truck is available, but needs to get back to me on the price. After ~20 minutes, salesman calls to inform me the price is wrong online, but they are willing to make a deal on the truck at 4k OVER MSRP. A $9k swing.

Hard no.

Now, here is where the story gets fun...

They truck I saw the day after thanksgiving at Bob Allen Ford (story 3) is the SAME TRUCK listed at Metro Ford (story 4). The same VIN number on both trucks. I have screen shots (or you can look at the truck on Meto's website and compare/contrast vin number listed on cars.com).

I am getting tired of KC's shady Ford dealerships.

All I am trying to do is purchase a damn truck at a reasonable price.