mpt tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94slowbra

Reaction score
just got my mpt tune emailed to me today. unfortunately the wife has my truck so i can do some maintenance to hers today so ill have to wait till tonight to load it. i ran a tune from another company and never really like how it performed. a buddy of mine had some tunes from mpt and loves them so i figured id give them a shot. i got the 87 performance street. im not looking for every ounce of power so i stuck with 87, if i like how it does ill see about going 93. ill update with my thoughts once it has had a few miles to learn. cant wait, driving on a stock tune sucks

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
so i had a chance to install the tune yesterday and drive it around last night and today. all i can say is this is what i was expecting the first time the i loaded a custom tune. shifts are firm and quick (not too aggressive), holds gears longer, much better throttle response and power is always on tap. im not expecting the world out of an 87 tune but this one delivers. makes for a much more enjoyable driving experience. almost feels sports carish if that makes sense.
as far as mileage goes i dont know yet. ill give it a little longer to learn and ill be taking a little road trip this weekend. ill report back then. right now im just enjoying the new feel
hopefully soon ill have some headers to have the sound to go along with the feel

Big Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear your success with your new tune. I know that feeling your talking about good for you. Check in and let us know how your road trip went. What kind of headers are you going to install?

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
I'm looking at either SW or American racing. Both are to notch with the only difference being primary size. Since my truck is n/a and will stay that way I think a 1 3/4" primary is best. So that means AM will probably be the choice unless SW wants to make me a set in 1 3/4 for the same price as the 1 7/8. I'm going to wait till holiday time to see what kind of deals I can find

memheli

Reaction score
interested to hear about your milage and how you're liking the tune. I'm a mostly city driver and considering a tune as well...

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
ok so i have had a little time to drive both city and hwy with this tune and everything so far is great. im running the 87 performance street tune. i wanted to try 87 first then maybe switch to the 93 if i felt like i wanted more. this truck is my daily and i have an 03 cobra that makes over 600 to the wheels so im not looking for every ounce of power. the "street" shifting is great, i think the "race would be too much for a street driven truck.
i went about 520 miles the past weekend, all interstate, and saw 15.1 mpg. this is roughly the same as before, maybe a little higher. im good with this, my last 87 tune barely broke 12 on the same trip. my city mpg is running about 11.5-12 depending on traffic. again i think this is fine. the truck definitely has alot more pep, holds gears so power readily available and overall is just more enjoyable to drive. im sure other tunes are just as good if not better but there are definitely worse. i dont really have a need to have multiple tunes so ill be sticking with the MPT.
this is my only performance mod on the truck right now. ill switch the stock filter to a better one but wont waste the money on a CAI. then some headers and a y-pipe and call it a day. hope this helps some of yall. any questions just ask

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! Still considering which tune I want as well. Definitely feel the same way about the CAI. Just get a good filter and call it a day. But like the CAI, are the headers really worth it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
The tune in my opinion is by far the biggest bang for the buck. Roughly $500 for the tuner and tune and only a few mins to install. 2k+ for headers and install for about 30 hp. Depends on what you want I guess. My uncle has American racing headers on his raptor and man does it sound great. My exhaust plans are on hold, I just dropped 2500 on a big brake kit for my cobra so I'll have to wait till the mod money is replenished. Good luck on your decision