Motorcraft 200amp Alternator work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to replace alternator. Does anyone know if the HD factory alternator will work? Model GL-8656. Can’t seem to get definitive info on it. Would like to stick with factory parts...

Mark

OP
OP
R

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool...wonder why it is no longer for sale. I see it available elsewhere. Weird.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool...wonder why it is no longer for sale. I see it available elsewhere. Weird.
X2, I wondered the same thing. I also noticed that they charge a core charge for a new alternator. I thought if its brand new there should be no core charge.

OP
OP
R

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2, I wondered the same thing. I also noticed that they charge a core charge for a new alternator. I thought if its brand new there should be no core charge.

Great point! And reminds me that I never returned my core! DOH! Oh well I guess I have a spare now.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats okay thanks. I did find a few dealerships online as well. But disappointed that I have to pay a core charge for a new item. I remember buying a couple of starters that were new and didn't have a core charge. Its just a hassle!!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are near a big city you can often find a place that will do an on the spot test and rebuild of your alternator. They can get OEM quality parts. The alternators are not very complex, the rotor and stator generate the voltage, the diode converts it to something usable, and the voltage regulator keeps it at the right voltage. They are mostly hard parts, so rebuilding is also pretty cost effective.

Plus having someone local do it gets you accountability.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check around locally. A side note my local Ford dealer emailed my with this response "As of 8-30 FORD has part BL3Z-10346-C on a National Back order with a Release date of 9-16. This part has a $75.00 CORE"