Loud Bang When Engaging 4x4, Or When Giving Hard Gas In 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLK

Reaction score
So, I was going about 80 (km/h) on the highway the other day, road was very bad. Let off the gas, clicked into 4x4. Shifted fine, light came on. 10 or so seconds later I get lightly back on the gas and BANG, the front of the truck shuttered and I felt it through the steering wheel hard. This was about a week or so ago. I've been driving alot lately, snowboarding trip, Christmas etc. Today I was ******** around with my brother and I was in 4x4 in a field, traction control off. Stepped on it, started doing big donuts in the snow. Front end did the same thing, about 2-3 times. Then later on, was driving on a gravel road, put it in 4x4 and gave it a bit of gas, and it was perfect. I don't know what is going on with it. My step dad figures it may be one of the hubs not engaging, which seems to make sense. Any ideas? I'm going to take it in anyway but its frustrating, as I have to take time off to do it (work out of town). Anyone else had this problem? Truck is a 2013 Screw, 20,000 km on it. I don't want this thing to leave me stranded somewhere, especially since dealerships often can't "replicate the problem". Also, Merry Christmas! Hope Santa was good to you all!

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Bang Bang club ! Lol....

So, I was going about 80 (km/h) on the highway the other day, road was very bad. Let off the gas, clicked into 4x4. Shifted fine, light came on. 10 or so seconds later I get lightly back on the gas and BANG, the front of the truck shuttered and I felt it through the steering wheel hard. This was about a week or so ago. I've been driving alot lately, snowboarding trip, Christmas etc. Today I was ******** around with my brother and I was in 4x4 in a field, traction control off. Stepped on it, started doing big donuts in the snow. Front end did the same thing, about 2-3 times. Then later on, was driving on a gravel road, put it in 4x4 and gave it a bit of gas, and it was perfect. I don't know what is going on with it. My step dad figures it may be one of the hubs not engaging, which seems to make sense. Any ideas? I'm going to take it in anyway but its frustrating, as I have to take time off to do it (work out of town). Anyone else had this problem? Truck is a 2013 Screw, 20,000 km on it. I don't want this thing to leave me stranded somewhere, especially since dealerships often can't "replicate the problem". Also, Merry Christmas! Hope Santa was good to you all!

Read all about the Bang Bang here ! :pp:

[/http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/torsen-front-axle-problems-anyone-else-19867/

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Is your t-case cross member straight? Ever catch it on anything that could have tweaked it? I had a similar bang that was due to the cross member being tweaked. Hard throttle with some wheel hop and the t-case would contact the bottom of the cab. Sounds like a hammer hitting the bottom of the truck, feel it in the wheel, and you're pretty sure something just majorly screwed up.

OP
OP
BLK

BLK

Reaction score
Truck is booked in... such a sad case. We pay lots for this truck and for an issue like this to happen to this many people with no recall is pathetic.