LED light theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I used longer stainless bolts to mount the U-cradle bracket to the ford racing light bar. Then I put a blob of JB weld on the tip of the bolts so you cant back off the nuts holding the U-cradle to light bar. If i need to take the U-Cradle off I have enough room to cut the bolt above the blob of JB weld and unscrew the nut.

That JB weld idea might be just the trick for my lights. I think I'll give that a go. Have you tried to break it loose with a wrench at all? Just curious if it'll hold up if a thief tries to have a go at it.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JB can be removed in 5 seconds with a torch or longer with a lighter on high. We use heat to remove it on firearms that have had bases and rings glued on. Have to be careful and sometimes just heat the screw driver to red hot---did a bolt on a trailer once that we just heated the socket to red hot them put it on left it for 30 seconds then put another red hot socket on let it sit for 30 seconds. Came off easy.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
What about without heat? How hard is it to break a bolt free? Any idea?

After hearing about the heat thing, I'm thinking it's probably not the best way anyhow, but I don't know how many would be light thieves know about heating up JB weld.

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the key here is that a motivated thief will get what he/she is after regardless of what you've done to protect it.

JB weld can be defeated yes, but having it on there would deter 99% of the thieves who are looking for a quick score with minimal effort. Same goes for the security bots, etc.. You're just trying to deter the asshats. The pros will steal what they want and either bring the right tools or just steal the whole damn truck, take their time and part it out in private.

I plan on running the security bolts and leaving it at that. There is no 100% solution beyond having a trunk monkey on duty.

~BGM

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AGREED! Where can I get a Trunk Monkey???

Years ago and i am giving away my age here but someone took my KC Daylighters by bending the light and the mounting tab back and forth until it broke off. They still had the double nuts mounting them. Glad we mount them differently today.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Thought a bit more about it and I'll probably just cover the threads in JB weld up toward the nut, but leave enough room that if I want them off I can always back the nut off a bit and cut the bolt with a sawzall or dremel above the nut.

Yeah, I'll be replacing the bolt, but really that's not a huge deal because I doubt I'm going to want them off the truck.

It won't stop everyone, but I think it'd be good enough to make them want to move on to something easier. Besides, if they try to mess with them, my alarm is gonna scream bloody murder and if I'm at home I'll be out the door with my rifle about 3 seconds after that.

I saw another suggestion that looked interesting too. Drill a hole through your nut and bolt once they're snugged down, then get a stainless steel pin and hammer it into that hole with a punch. This one is just more work than I care to do though.

Last edited: