Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Interior wrap with brushed steel

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Interior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]' started by DezRaceSVT, Apr 7, 2014.

Special Vehicle Concepts
  1. DezRaceSVT

DezRaceSVT Full Access Member

What’s going on guys. So ever since I got my truck something about the interior colors didn't look right to me. The light grey panels seem to break up the flow of the dash. So I decided to give vinyl wrap a shot. After looking at different colors and types of vinyl I decided on 3M's scotchprint 1080 brushed steel. Scotchprint is one of the best if not the best wrap on the market. I chose the brushed steel because I wanted a textured look so to speak and the brushed steel is a few shades darker than the light grey panels and it think it helps on blending the rest of the black and darker grey interior colors.
    If you are going to try this I would recommend on watching a lot of You Tube videos. I found a good channel to watch is “3M Cookie’s Tips” he goes into detail about what types of tools are needed, pre stretching the vinyl, different types of chemicals that can be used on the vinyl, the use of a heat gun so on and so on. Other videos to look at are how to go about getting rid of wrinkles in the vinyl. Some of the curves are a pain in the ass to work around and get rid of the wrinkles but in watching the videos you can get a good idea on how to tackle them.

The tools that I used for this was:
    - Razor blade
    - Scissors
    - Felt tipped squeegee
    - 3M primer 94(for the deep recesses and tight curves)
    - 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
    - Lint free rag
    - heat gun

Here you can see the original stock color layout of the light grey panels next to the dark grey control panel and the black interior panels.
    w10.jpg

Now you can see the brushed wrap next to the same panels. The darker color helps the dash flow and everything blend a little better in my opinion.
    w6.jpg

Again you can see what the light grey looks like on the center console with the rest of the interior and the wrap.
    w8.jpg

In this pic the primer was used to help hold the wrap into place if you don’t use any primer the wrap will stay for a while but it will lift after a while. The primer is applied after the panel is cleaned with the alcohol. When you put the primer on you let it dry completely then apply the wrap after the wrap is in place then you will need to post heat the entire panel especially where the primer is applied. The primer will hold the wrap in place after it is used.
    w5.jpg

Close up of the driver’s side panel.
    w9.jpg

Here is a pic of the dash with all the panels installed.
    w7.jpg

The center console panel took the longest to do just because of all the curves and different angles.
    w3.jpg
    w4.jpg
    w2.jpg

Here is the back of the center console. I disassembled the air vents on the back of the center console and painted them black to match the rest of the vents.
    W1.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions i think we can get it figured out.

2. BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian FRF Addict

Wow! Love it. Stainless steel looks great in our trucks. I'm going to have to look into that. Where did you buy the vinyl from?

3. DezRaceSVT

From a local wrap shop. But you can buy from metrorestyling.com

4. BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian FRF Addict

What did it run you at the local shop if you don't mind me asking? I stopped by a local shop today to see how much he would charge me to get my hood wrapped in 3M.. He said $600. I laughed.

5. DezRaceSVT

Ya that's a rip off. I got a hook up at the shop I went to. I got 5ft. X 15ft. Of the scotchprint for $100. He was going good to do my hood for $200 but he canceled our appointment because he was backed up on other projects. Good for me because I plan on doing my hood next. I would recommend watching hood wrap installs on you tube and doing it yourself. Doing flat surfaces is not hard. I would practice with smaller pieces first just to get a hang of the vinyl.

6. RDFTS

RDFTS aka Rick Supporting Member

Looks really good and you did a great job!

Sent using Tapatalk

7. Slacker

Slacker Full Access Member

Looks really good

8. Huck

Huck FRF Addict

Any idea how close of a match it is to the brushed panels from the blue accent interior? They left the center console in the back black. Would like to match it it possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD aka Wreckless

Yea j noticed that too. I'd like to change that as well if it matches reallllllyyyy close.

10. Rookie

Rookie Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Looks good