GEN 1 Interior light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. The lights on my gear shifter, steering wheel, and 4x4 selector switch stooped working. It started as an intermittent problem and now won’t turn on at all. I looked through the manual to see what fuse it is but it doesn’t say specifically. Anyone know what could cause just those lights to stop working? All the other dash lights work. I do have an ambient light kit that is tapped into those wires which also isn’t working. I’m pretty sure that’s the culprit but haven’t pulled the console out yet. Just wanted to ask in case there’s something else to look for. Also, can anyone confirm that if you put a towel over the sensor on the dash just in front of the center speaker, will that activate all those dash lights? Just wondering how to test it during the day. Thanks in advance

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id say check the fuse panel in the passenger wheel well, number 25 and 26. And yes, the light sensor can be covered and after about 20 seconds, your lights will change. I have had mine trip out once or twice only to realize that from my observations, that sensor has complete control over when your interior lights are on or off regarding to the amount of light its receiving. Yes, your lights can be on in the day, and your dash lights be off.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it started to flicker or only work part of the time, that doesn’t seem indicative of a fuse. More like a bad ground. Or a wire grounding out. I would check the connection that you spliced in. Of course check the fuse cause it’s easy, but I would bet that’s not the underlying problem.