Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun and HVAC results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It seems like many of us have issues with mostly the AC and not so much the heat. Right now, I only have either extreme heat or extreme AC cold. I also have some vents that blow much more air than others. I want to purchase an Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun from Amazon or similar and use this to diagnose my system on video for the dealer. Each time I bring it there, it's working slightly better, and they claim no issues found. I figure if I can use a temp gun and point it at the vent, I should see what some actual data and numbers are. Plus, it's good to have in the tool box for Trans temp etc...

Anyone have a suggestion online of a product they are happy with? We can then all purchase and maybe finally solve this AC issue? The summer is on the way and I don't feel like sweating in a $80k truck. Maybe we can finally prove that the vents aren't blowing hard enough and the bottom end isn't producing cold enough air? There has to be some type of standard for all vehicles.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You can get a cheapo point and shoot thermometer at home depot, lowes, amazon, etc. You can also get a flir that clicks into your phone and will take pics of the whole dash with temp readings. I have both and can try and get some readings.

My advice is try the "auto" mode on the AC. Once I stopped fiddling with the knobs, it just seems to be at the right temp most of the time. I still click it up or down a degree or two. I don't really think about it anymore. May be different when Summer rolls around, we'll see.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that the infrared gun will only take a temp reading of solid objects...it will not directly read air temp. You'll need to aim the gun at something that the cold air is blowing on, then you'll get an approximate temp of the air.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the above comments. If someone can get some readings and we can compare that would be great. I’ll order mine on Amazon or Home Depot tomorrow. I think you should be able to point it at the adjustable directional vent and get a reading there.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally you’ll want temp readings from another similar vehicle running right next to yours.

The goal would be to remove as many variables as possible.

Think: same gun, pointed at the same place, same person taking the readings, same outside temp and humidity, both vehicles either parked in direct sun or both in full shade, both vehicles running for the same amount of time, etc.

Maybe another F150 of similar age at the dealer’s lot?

I know on the Gen 2’s, that the only way to get any AC to the rear seats is to use the dash vent only setting. Any air going up to windshield or down to floor negatively impacts the rear vents.

On the Gen 2’s it’s a poor design for the back seat passengers.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to update this thread for anyone else that wants to test their Gen 3 AC numbers. I am buying this item from Home Depot today. It has both the infrared gun and outlet tester, which would be nice to have in my toolbox. I will post up my settings and numbers after this weekend. As much as I want to try to keep items similar, like @wheelman55 suggested, this could be tough. Mainly, I want to just prove to the service writer that the temp control does nothing. I either have full AC or full heat, but nothing in between.

Gunner_Gen3

Reaction score
It seems like many of us have issues with mostly the AC and not so much the heat. Right now, I only have either extreme heat or extreme AC cold. I also have some vents that blow much more air than others. I want to purchase an Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun from Amazon or similar and use this to diagnose my system on video for the dealer. Each time I bring it there, it's working slightly better, and they claim no issues found. I figure if I can use a temp gun and point it at the vent, I should see what some actual data and numbers are. Plus, it's good to have in the tool box for Trans temp etc...

Anyone have a suggestion online of a product they are happy with? We can then all purchase and maybe finally solve this AC issue? The summer is on the way and I don't feel like sweating in a $80k truck. Maybe we can finally prove that the vents aren't blowing hard enough and the bottom end isn't producing cold enough air? There has to be some type of standard for all vehicles
I have a 22' 37pp same exact issue happens to me. The dealership told me the exact same thing, Surf, if possible could you post the pictures/video of your findings so I can show the dealership?