Ideas for protecting Spare on tire carriers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r6cairo

Reaction score
What ideas have people come up with to lock the spare on your rear tire carriers? any wire cable locks that work?

Banned
Reaction score
Could make up a custom piece out of round tubing, something that covers the tires and locks onto the tire gate itself.

-Posted with my iPhone.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
What ideas have people come up with to lock the spare on your rear tire carriers? any wire cable locks that work?

Not sure but couldn't you drill a hole through the post that secures it and install one of those trailer hitch lock pins that screws together if the key is installed in the end and once locked the key is removed. I am sure it could be beaten off with a hammer but it would not be as quiet as a sharp cutter or chain cutters. Just a thought.
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score

Not sure but couldn't you drill a hole through the post that secures it and install one of those trailer hitch lock pins that screws together if the key is installed in the end and once locked the key is removed. I am sure it could be beaten off with a hammer but it would not be as quiet as a sharp cutter or chain cutters. Just a thought. Rubber coated chain or even some 1/4 x 2" strap fabricated around the tire and bolted to the support. Hell I can't find a pic now.
BDRAG

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure but couldn't you drill a hole through the post that secures it and install one of those trailer hitch lock pins that screws together if the key is installed in the end and once locked the key is removed. I am sure it could be beaten off with a hammer but it would not be as quiet as a sharp cutter or chain cutters. Just a thought.
BDRAG

Actually those trailer hitch locks you just described are even easier to get through. 5lb hammer employed to the lock breaks the pin. I think I would go with the cable lock. Hammers are plentiful, most people do not carry bolt cutters. It is a deterrent, nothing else. Anything can be stolen so choose your poison.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Actually those trailer hitch locks you just described are even easier to get through. 5lb hammer employed to the lock breaks the pin. I think I would go with the cable lock. Hammers are plentiful, most people do not carry bolt cutters. It is a deterrent, nothing else. Anything can be stolen so choose your poison.

Yes it can. I use the cables on my cycle trailer. I stuff it through the hole in the wheels and then to the frame. Also use the pin in the tounge. So far so good for the last 9 years. I did loan it once and only got one cable back. I would guess the fool locked it and didn't remove it before driving off! HAhahaa. DAUMBASS. No it wasn't me! Hahhahaaaaaaaaa.
BDRAG

OP
OP
R

r6cairo

Reaction score
lol been there done that and whats worse was in front of a huge crowd at a ******* haha...

Thanks for the ideas