GEN 2 Ford Protect Question - buying after purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a Ford Protect flyer in the mail and after seeing all the cam phaser issues that have popped up I'm considering adding a warranty to my Raptor. I bought Oct. 1, 2018 and passed on the warranty then. After reading a couple of threads I found I can buy from Flood Ford online for $2150 (8 years, 125,000 miles, $100 deductible, premium plan). I went to the Ford Protect website and got a quote for $3655. The brochure only gives phone numbers to call.

Does anyone have experience buying the ESP (now Ford Protect) after some time? What's the difference between buying direct from Ford or from Flood Ford? Any value in calling Ford or going to my local dealer? For damn near 45% less by buying through Flood it seems to good to be true.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can purchase the extended warranty ie. ESP, up until the basic warranty, 3yr 3600 miles expires.

Flood Ford and Zeigler Ford are good options.

Sam

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I would advise on taking what you read on these forums with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the Raptor doesn't have problems or those who post about them are disingenuous, but the volume is most certainly magnified.

Meaning, there are those who come on here to try to troubleshoot an issue they may have with their truck. But it's much less likely you will get feedback from those who are simply happy with it. There's nothing wrong with this; But it does skew the reliability perception of the truck pretty drastically.

Point being, I wouldn't throw down $2k on an extended warranty based purely on FRF threads.

abearsfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the extended warranty is highly inflated, ask your local dealer to give it to you at 500 bucks over their cost...I bought mine only because the dealer was able to work with me on it, and they still made some money rather than the 200-400 % markup

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this is the 5th 3.5 Eco-Boost I have experience with.

my 2013 SHO i sold at 50,*** miles
my wifes 2014 Ex-Sport I sold at 105,*** miles

my brothers 2013 F150 has 135,*** miles
my wifes 2018 Ex-Sport has 15,*** miles
my 2018 Raptor has 15,*** miles

5 motors and 310,*** miles of experience tell me all i need to know. this motor is tough as hell and I am not worried at all. No ext service plan is needed.

OCMDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just traded our 2017 with blown turbos for a 2019... bought ESP in 2016 for $1800 when we took delivery of the '17, had 52K miles on the truck got $800 returned for unused warranty portion and am buying the 8yr/100K/same day rental, lightbulbs etc. for $1800 and change.. maybe $1850... either way, when I met with the finance guy to settle paperwork he said he was going to give me the ESP program at cost plus $100. So I let him speak and he wanted $2400. I then explained what I was going to be doing... needless to say we moved right past the $100 upcharge... I will be buying my ESP from Michael Potts - Owner/General Manager 765-793-2233 - [email protected] at Heartland Ford .

Mike has been really easy to work with and offered a really good deal on the ESP.

Best of luck.

Vince

PS... I had the sunroof worked on and finally replaced which alone cost 2 times the ESP... so in my opinion ESP is definitely worth the $$$$

19Stripper

Reaction score
I've owned 1 ecoboost before the raptor. Started getting chain rattle at 61k miles (go figure) and had intermittent rattle up until I switched to mobile 1 at 90k miles. Never heard a rattle again. Traded at 118k for my raptor due to coolant fittings leaking everywhere. (Fairly expensive)

I will be purchasing the esp due to that. Dealers were quoting over 3k$ to fix the timing chain rattle. Coolant fittings were over 1k in labor. I have nowhere to work on it myself so couldn't disassemble the fender in my driveway to gain access. This was enough to make my decision easy. So far no problems with the 19 rap at 8.9k miles other than I dont want to stop driving.

jinskeep

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an insurance policy, nothing more nothing less. If you use it it'll probably pay for itself.

Just make sure you ONLY buy Ford Protect. The others may not have but only a representative on the phone that who knows if you can even understand...