Flush mount folding tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7raptor

Reaction score
What's the best flush mount folding tonneau cover? bak flip HD?

Can these support snow? I'm using the truck as a ski/snow vehicle.

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bakflips are probably the most low profile covers... I'm sure the HD would easily support the snow during the winter. I have a Fibermax and so far it's been great. Granted, I bought my truck in May so I haven't gone through a winter with it yet but I don't foresee any issues with it. I believe they're rated to support 350-450 lbs... that's a lot of snow!

The only down side I've found to the low profile covers is that you need to lift the rear panel to close the tailgate... that's kind of annoying at times but still, not a huge deal.

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can actually close my tailgate with my BakFlip VP down, even though the instructions says to lift the rear panel. There's just enough clearance of the weather strip not to fold it under when the tailgate closes.

Personally, I liked their VP model best, because it appears to be a solid piece, with the covering over the folding panels. Just a cleaner look to me.

And I've used mine to sit and lay on...it holds me just fine (200 lbs). Although I probably wouldn't stand in the very center of it, but 400 lbs spread across the entire section shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can actually close my tailgate with my BakFlip VP down, even though the instructions says to lift the rear panel. There's just enough clearance of the weather strip not to fold it under when the tailgate closes.

Personally, I liked their VP model best, because it appears to be a solid piece, with the covering over the folding panels. Just a cleaner look to me.

And I've used mine to sit and lay on...it holds me just fine (200 lbs). Although I probably wouldn't stand in the very center of it, but 400 lbs spread across the entire section shouldn't be a problem.

Hows the leakage on that though?

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

I have a fibermax. I wanted a rollx but it was too heavy to ship. I've been happy with mine, but it does leak a little during very heavy rain. Going to get some weather stripping to fix that. if you do get a backflip, go through Morrie @BAKfactoryoutlet.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Undercover Flex.

Compare it to any of the baks, and then look at the price. No brainer if you ask me.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy it, how much is it supposed to cost, how much is install?

There are a number of sites that carry it, 4wheelonline etc, and there are sales pretty regularly. I bought mine at my local LineX dealer for ~$700.

I was in there to look at them and they had the Bak F1 and Flex displays in the store right next to each other. At a glance they appear to be the same thing, but the more you look the more you see the little things that are better IMO on the flex. I believe Bak has made a few changes since then, so it might be worth comparing again, but I wouldn't hesitate to by another flex either.

BigBlock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Undercover Flex is better than Bakflips because:
1. Bakflip leans against the cab, Flex stand vertically (does not lean on cab).
2. You have to buy and use bungee cords when you fold open the Bakflip. The Flex comes with attached straps.
3. The Flex costs less than the Bakflip F1 and Bakflip Fibermax.

Other info: The Flex, F1, and Fibermax all have FRP top panels. The Flex is rated at 400 lbs distributed weight. The F1 is rated at 500 lbs and the Fibermax is rated at 400 lbs. Warranty: Flex-3 yrs, F1-3 yrs, Fibermax-2 yrs. Both Undercover and Bak Industries are now owned by the same parent company.

....and no, I don't work for any of the companies mentioned.

OP
OP
7raptor

7raptor

Reaction score
The Undercover Flex is better than Bakflips because:
1. Bakflip leans against the cab, Flex stand vertically (does not lean on cab).
2. You have to buy and use bungee cords when you fold open the Bakflip. The Flex comes with attached straps.
3. The Flex costs less than the Bakflip F1 and Bakflip Fibermax.

Other info: The Flex, F1, and Fibermax all have FRP top panels. The Flex is rated at 400 lbs distributed weight. The F1 is rated at 500 lbs and the Fibermax is rated at 400 lbs. Warranty: Flex-3 yrs, F1-3 yrs, Fibermax-2 yrs. Both Undercover and Bak Industries are now owned by the same parent company.

....and no, I don't work for any of the companies mentioned.

Thank you so much for sharing your insights BigBlock!

Any suggestions as to how to determine who is best to have install the tonneau in the LA area?

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the BAK Roll-X. Same 400lb weight rating but it's 100% flush and you can see out the back glass when it's open. Any of the fold ups would annoy the hell out of me when up even though that's probably a few times a month at most. Had mine about a year now and it looks brand new. Just hit it with some CG VRP sealer occasionally.

EDIT: Price from Morrie is in line with what you're talking about above.