Flip Your Spare?....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire doesn't have to be moving, I watch the pressure drop on all 4 tires (Trailhead tire deflators) as I am airing down for the beach.

Most sensors use tire rotation to “wake up” the sensor. They have a permanently installed, non-changeable battery. To save the battery, they power down after a certain amount of time. When the tire starts rotating, they power back up. When you go to the beach, you have probably driven there, then aired down, right? They are already reactivated.
However, there are some out there that are always on, but they don’t last as long. Some aftermarket systems also stay on (you can change the batteries on those, so they don’t care about saving power). I didn’t think
Ford did this. Now I’ll have to go and check it out.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most sensors use tire rotation to “wake up” the sensor. They have a permanently installed, non-changeable battery. To save the battery, they power down after a certain amount of time. When the tire starts rotating, they power back up. When you go to the beach, you have probably driven there, then aired down, right? They are already reactivated.
However, there are some out there that are always on, but they don’t last as long. Some aftermarket systems also stay on (you can change the batteries on those, so they don’t care about saving power). I didn’t think
Ford did this. Now I’ll have to go and check it out.

Assuming that this is correct, I doubt it is the rotation that is needed but rather just movement. I don't think the have any gyroscopic sensors in the TPMS. If anything they would just have a motion sensor. In that case, the spare is in motion just like the other 4 and would be active if the truck is moving.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming that this is correct, I doubt it is the rotation that is needed but rather just movement. I don't think the have any gyroscopic sensors in the TPMS. If anything they would just have a motion sensor. In that case, the spare is in motion just like the other 4 and would be active if the truck is moving.

Could be. The ones I'm familiar with use an inductive sensor that sees the wheel rotate past the sensor as it turns. There may be other ways of implementing this.

Hey, if anyone knows for sure, please chime in. I don't want to keep guessing; just letting you know what I'm familiar with.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

By the way, while this isn't for 2017 Raptors, here is a description of how the 2013 F150 TPMS works:

‘Train’ replaced sensors on F-150 pickups - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the gen 2 tpms isolate which tire is low. my gen 1 just has a generic low tire pressure warning but doesnt tell you which tire is low, I usually figure it out by hopping out and listening for the giant woosh of air escaping from my rock sliced sidewall. so the OP's solution still is necessary to achieve his goals of checking pressure and access to air it up

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rainy night here in the Great Northwest and my wife is out with the girlfriends....so let's go to the garage....

Having been surprised once or twice over the years with a "Spare With No Air" just when it was needed most, I've taken to flipping the spares on my trucks making it easy to check tire pressure. (Tire had 42 psi in it, FYI).

On my 2018 Raptor there is a matching 17" factory aluminum wheel and full-size BFG KO2. (Previous garden-variety F-150s had a steel spare wheel with an unmatched cheapo tire).

If you haven't already looked, there is the standard crank down center cable as well as an additional cable that goes through the "T" and is bolted to the frame. I'm assuming this just adds a bit of security.

I put a couple layers of duct tape around the "T" that goes through the center of the wheel and on the face of the wheel itself to protect the nice shiny finish.

Part of this fun project is learning how to take the jack kit out and put together the correct rods to crank down the spare.....oh....then reassembling and re-velcroing it all back together under the back seat.

And the night is still young....

Northlight

I never liked having my spare wheel under the vehicle. I like to keep in the bed unless I need to use the bed.

Make sure you clean the wheel periodically to keep all of the brake dust and road crap off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the retaining spring at the end of the cable is now lower then it was before because of the orientation of the tire. Before it was inside and protected by the wheel.

That shit is going to get smashed if you take it to the dirt.

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the retaining spring at the end of the cable is now lower then it was before because of the orientation of the tire. Before it was inside and protected by the wheel.

That shit is going to get smashed if you take it to the dirt.

good point