F150 Rattler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True, and I would not be good at marketing, that's for sure. I am not terribly fond of 'F150' to be honest, but at least there is some logic behind it and it's organized, give the F250 etc. And it so much better than 'Silverado'. The name just screams "you must wear a cowboy hat and boots to drive this truck". Ram probably is the best of name.

To be fair though, organized naming conventions get you into trouble too. One problem is that you don't want people thinking they are buying the lowest/worst version of a vehicle. I mean, it makes no sense that the lowest trim of the F150 is 'XL', but no one wants a trim called 'Standard' or 'Regular'. And of course, you can get trapped in a corner when you run out of room for growth in your convention. Xbox had that problem. They went from xbox->xbox360->xbox one -> xbox series one? No sense. Where do they go from there?

And I guess Ford F150 off road package is Rattler -> FX4 -> Tremor -> Raptor...I guess. Ranger has FX4 and will have Raptor, nothing else. F250 has FX4 and Tremor, nothing else. Bronco will not be FX4, but everything is 4WD, has Raptor, nothing else. I bet Ford marketing would love to be able to just start from scratch.
Now take Lightning for instance. Sure a well known name, and it does make sense for an electric truck. But it’s named Lightning and comes in the typical Ford trims. It’s a 4x4 or really an AWD. So will there be variations for real performance off road? Right now the truck is built as a do all, which is typical of everyone else’s electric truck so far. I mean will a set of air springs and off-road tires mean that’s your typical off road truck electric truck? Will there be a Lightning Tremor and FX4 etc in the future? Maybe Lightning Assault is a good name lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True, and I would not be good at marketing, that's for sure.

Tech guys are generally bad at marketing. HP hired tech guys for marketing, hence their well-earned reputation. The joke was that if HP was selling sushi, they would call it cold dead fish.

I am not terribly fond of 'F150' to be honest, but at least there is some logic behind it and it's organized, give the F250 etc. And it so much better than 'Silverado'. The name just screams "you must wear a cowboy hat and boots to drive this truck". Ram probably is the best of name.

Agreed. F150 has history, so everyone who doesn't live under a rock knows what it means. That's worth too much to discard even if it's uninspired.

To be fair though, organized naming conventions get you into trouble too. One problem is that you don't want people thinking they are buying the lowest/worst version of a vehicle. I mean, it makes no sense that the lowest trim of the F150 is 'XL', but no one wants a trim called 'Standard' or 'Regular'.

Except engineers. And they are a small market.

And of course, you can get trapped in a corner when you run out of room for growth in your convention. Xbox had that problem. They went from xbox->xbox360->xbox one -> xbox series one? No sense. Where do they go from there?

Exactly. As we know all too well, the small at Starbucks is called tall.

And I guess Ford F150 off road package is Rattler -> FX4 -> Tremor -> Raptor...I guess.

The problem is using FX4 as a model name instead of a package descriptor. Having an XL FX4 or an XLT FX4 or a platinum FX4 would clear the air nicely. Tremor and Raptor make more sense as a separate model name because they are purpose built instead of add ons.

I bet Ford marketing would love to be able to just start from scratch.
I'm glad they can't! LOL

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d prefer a Sig “Rattler” over the F-150 version personally!

I was SOOOOO waiting to hear about some partnership between Ford and Sig, like an F150 Harley Davidson. I was hoping the truck would come equipped with some kind of rear mount for tailgaters, auto-deploying ear muffs, just stuff like that!

"Ford F150 MCX Rattler, never be intimidated in traffic again"