Excited about GEN 3 finally having some decent looking DRLs and Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSAN

Reaction score
Everyone has small things that they look for in every vehicle. For me that thing is headlight/exterior lights in general. I place a huge importance on vehicle's headlight/tail light design and for me that kinda makes or breaks the vehicle's look. I've talked to few people who really don't care about headlights or any lights as long as they can see at night.

So when the 2015 F150 was released I was disappointed at the amber "DRL" strip around the headlight. it was so useless as it couldn't been seen in daylight and Ford used low beams as DRLs. And Raptor got the same lazy headlight design. They could have brightened up the amber LEDs but they didn't.

How the lights on the 2015+ F150 and 2017+ Raptor were supposed to look:
IsMKXcs.png

What they actually looked like:
LpGw4Av.jpg

2018 F150 finally got the DRL LEDs around the headlight. This time they were bright enough that they didn't need the low beams on. But the LEDs looked cheap because they weren't diffused properly. you could see the individual LEDs (This kinda cheapened the look of the truck IMO).

Super duty had the same DRL LEDs where each individual LED was visible until the Super Duties got a redesign in 2020. This time the headlight DRL strips were properly diffused where each little LED couldn't be seen and it finally held up to Audi, Mercedes and other high end vehicle headlights.

And now Finally the 2021 F150 has great looking DRL strips that are super bright during the daylight. And I can't wait to see the Raptor's amber DRLs in person. They're gonna look great matched with the three marker lights in the middle.

1amj6X2.jpg

And I had to confirm that the Ambers are indeed the DRLs so I paused the ford announcement video and took a screenshot.

lg272PT.png

Someone did post the raptor having White DRLs same as an F150, but it maybe for a different market

IG8HDtS.jpg

yPibu8E.jpg

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pics of the second Gen Raptor are simply the parking lights. No need to do anything but turn the light switch to that position.

I agree 100% that the 2015 F-150 white DRL’s looked incredibly cheap due to being able to see each LED. Never knew it was called diffusing, so thanks!

I always have my lights on when the truck is running since I covered my light sensor with electrical tape.

OP
OP
J

JSAN

Reaction score
Yep, I disabled the DRL on the setup screen and run the parking lights 100% of the time during daylight hours. Nothing new here.....
I'm not sure about states, but in Canada, its the law to have DRLs. Illegal to disable them and the ambers by themselves aren't bright enough to serve as DRLs, also need the low beams on.

The 2018+ LEDs around the headlights are bright enough to serve as DRLs, but not 2015-2017

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about states, but in Canada, its the law to have DRLs. Illegal to disable them and the ambers by themselves aren't bright enough to serve as DRLs, also need the low beams on.

Sorry for your luck.....

OP
OP
J

JSAN

Reaction score
Sorry for your luck.....
Actually I prefer DRLs being mandatory in Canada. I've ran into my fair share of people driving in the rain, snow storm or even at night with no lights on. DRLs come on as soon as transmission is shifted from neutral.

KeithV

Reaction score
The pics of the second Gen Raptor are simply the parking lights. No need to do anything but turn the light switch to that position.

I agree 100% that the 2015 F-150 white DRL’s looked incredibly cheap due to being able to see each LED. Never knew it was called diffusing, so thanks!

I always have my lights on when the truck is running since I covered my light sensor with electrical tape.

But then doesn't that also dim your gauge and entertainment screen brightness?

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run DRL headlights all the time, using Forscan to enable it when Auto headlights are on.

OP
OP
J

JSAN

Reaction score
I run DRL headlights all the time, using Forscan to enable it when Auto headlights are on.

So do the DRLs come disabled from Ford in the US? I just assumed any new vehicle manufactured had DRLs enabled in North America.

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know, but my 2017 had to be enabled via a tweak. Maybe someone on here will know.