Ever have your fuel door fall off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sooner Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at the gas station and then drove my truck home and parked it in the garage. The next morning I noticed my fuel door was missing. Also, I noticed some very minor scratches on the fender well parallel with the fuel door. So, I take it into Reynolds Ford in OKC, where I have had all my oil changes. My service advisor examined the fuel door assembly and said that someone had stolen it, due to the broken tabs on the housing. I said there is no way that the truck had been drivin from the gas gas station to my house. He said the housing and lid would be about $320 plus parts and labor. I said No way! He then got one of his mechanics to look at it. The mechanic said the tabs are not broken and all he needs is a fuel door. He quoted me $70 for the door, not including painting. So I walked out extremely frustrated. I have never had my truck in for any warranty work. Basically I'm asking just fix what should be covered under warranty, but get the opposite. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How can you expect them to fix that for free, come on! You probably left it open and it snapped off at some point. Pay up the 70 bucks and call it a day :)

Or buy a billet fuel door, they don't need paint!

OP
OP
Sooner Raptor

Sooner Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't leave it open! I just pissed because the dealer was going to charge me for something that wasn't broke the housing! There are many treads on the F-150 forums about the fuel door falling off if you have time to read them!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't leave it open! I just pissed because the dealer was going to charge me for something that wasn't broke the housing! There are many treads on the F-150 forums about the fuel door falling off if you have time to read them!
Pm'd you back bro!

toadman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens

Mine fell off in my hand at the gas station once. The tabs that lock it into place are not very strong. Defiantly one of those things I've learned to check at every fill-up.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fuel door should be covered, but for me that would cost a $100 deductible. On eBay the OEM ones are about half of what they quoted you. The after market ones are even cheaper. I would check with the local junk yards for one, they may be able to get a factory one already color matched to your truck.