Engine detail problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your credit card and have them reverse the charges. Then call does customer service and complain. Then stop using the dealership. There has got to be a Lincoln mercury place th can go to.

Also sue.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem frog, there is no Ford delarship here locally other than this one. Its terrifying to be honest with you.

the other dealership is 35 miles away...

this is why everybody drives a dodge out here, that dealership seems spot on. What i was thinking about doing was tossing my truck on a flat bed, and driving it to a reputable dealership....thats probably what i should have done...but i needed a ride bad..

I guess to rent a car hauler is 50 bucks a day, a car rental for the time its gone is about 70 bucks a day...

Work just played a problem with me taking leave. Plus my co-workers were talking **** saying "you are always out doing something with your truck"

i should have taken leave as well...

all things i could have done, but it becomes more of a problem than anything else. all i know, this sucks majorly.

gonna call them tomorrow and see what they will say. Hopefully something promising.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just have your story straight, in writing with twenty seven 8 x 10 color glossy photographs (you may not be old enough to get that one, but I bet Dan is <G>)

Falcon

Yes, I am old enough to "get that one" and I knew right away your text was inspired by Arlo Guthrie's song, Alice's Restaurant. :)

"They took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence"

http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/alices.shtml
http://www.arlo.net/bio.shtml

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotta play "Devil's Advocate" here...

The whole thing started when the detail shop screwed up the truck.

The dealer did fix the truck... even though the first diagnosis was wrong about the MAF and the K&N. And the second diagnosis was wrong about the reprogramming.

Computers on these new vehicles are smart... but not that smart. I've seen and heard of plenty of cases where a trouble code is misleading and caused by something other than the part you'd think it was caused by. Once I bought a used Chevy Blazer with the HO V-6 that would not smog and ran terrible. (I got it really cheap). The previous owner replaced all kinds of sensors... all were throwing codes at various times. It was nothing electronic at all. A vacuum leak in the EGR valve was the culprit. Replaced the EGR and all the codes cleared. The thing ran like new. The point is that a diagnosis with a scan tool can be and often is wrong or misleading. It's what happens when the tech actually works on it that matters.

A couple of facts. The dealer did not try to charge for the reprogramming attempt. And when the dealer did eventually find the "throttle body sticking", it was repaired for FREE!!!! (remembering again that the whole thing started when the detail shop power washed the engine.. this problem didn't just happen on its own)

I guess I have to wonder if the dealer, had they been given the chance to replace the MAF on the truck, would have swapped back to the original when the MAF turned out not to be the issue?

It was stated that there is a big sign that says "no returns" on electrical parts. So what does the parts guy have to say who said the $266 part could be returned if it wasn't used?

But... and here's the "devil's advocate" part... when you called them back AFTER purchasing the MAF and said "see, it's not the MAF", wouldn't they assume you installed it? (After all, they did try cleaning it themselves)

This could go either way. I do hope they decide to refund you on the MAF.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark thats exactly what has been going on...also i dont want to make too many enimies at the stealership...i mean dealership lol

I do have a brand new part...granted it was 266 dollars, but i still have it, i basically paid the dealership 119 dollars to fix whatever problem my truck had (which is still not clear, as i have no paper work)

Also, i have been very thankful and sent my gratitude to the service manager when they fixed my truck...as i too feel like nothing is their fault, mostly the detail shop. I think my best bet is to take the detail shop to small claims court, as they were the ones who ****ed up my truck, not the dealership.

I asked one of the managers at the service department to talk to the parts manager to see what they can do for me...even if its like a 30 dollar restocking fee or whatever. I even mentioned that they can test the said product on my truck...she seemed receptive, so i will wait and see what she comes up with. if not, then i will call a friend at Spradley in fort collins, who knows people at the service department there, and thats where i purchased my truck.

The dealership did good by me i think personally, its my fault for bringing it in with the K&N, i knew better and simply forgot. if the stock air filter was in there, they would have fixed everything for free im sure.

Im pissed as all hell trust me, i paid roughly 400 dollars for something i never caused. But this is something i will have to bring up to the detailer...problem is, and this is the problem with the dealership, they are trying to work it saying it wasnt the detail shop's fault...by saying there is a TSB for the throttle body...which makes no sense to me. But again...thats probably looking out for me as well, considering if it was the detail place's fault, i would have to eat the total cost of everything, then take it up with them.

rough times this week...but I think Mark hit the nail on the head, its unfortunate, but before they do any maint on a vehicle, first step tells them to check for any aftermarket parts...they stop after noticing any said parts.

so for them to work on anything else for free is going out of their way...but i will talk to them again today to see what i can get respectfully...and i have been thanking them a ton in the process.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score