Dual Band / Ham / 2-Way / Amateur Radio Install (and FRS/GMRS mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
J, did you ever hardwire this setup for power? I am looking for ideas...
Nope. I left it in the cig lighter and it worked just fine.

BigJ, maybe I missed it, but what did you do for audio, with radio on floor and in the radio?? External, pump it through trucks audio!!:ROFLJest:

OSP
Hah nope, nothing so grandious. This ICOM's speaker literally booms out the voices. And the way I mounted it, you can see I'm letting the sound bounce off hard plastic; that basically had the effect of throwing the sound all over the cab. There was never a time where I couldn't hear well enough.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I tucked all wires into slots in dash and console, under the rug and out thru the firewall.
Did you cut the dash or just pushed the wire through in between the panels? I am looking at mounting the head unit in that same location (currently running 50/50 with the location J used).

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you cut the dash or just pushed the wire through in between the panels? I am looking at mounting the head unit in that same location (currently running 50/50 with the location J used).

I was able to push the wire between the panels. The cable runs right up between the panels and is not really visible.

But, :birgits_tiredcoffeeit was not easy and one must be careful . . .
~ cause it's like :nono:****** material :hidesbehindsofa: and you have to push a little harder . .:naughty:
than you normally would . . but it goes right In.:Caffeine:~ :smoke2: ~ :gr_grin:
Good Luck on tryin' to get it out .:uhoh2:. though.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 95

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stepside have you written a thread regarding your comms setup?

If so please post a link for us to follow...if not...would you take some time to document a step by step for us regarding your Awesome install!?!

Mainly I'm interested on how you mounted the detachable head (what brand, what material used to mount...etc.)

Thanks bro!!!Great setup!!!

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Also, does the ICOM 208H have magnets on the backside like the ICOM IC 2820H has??

Thanks.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan a bit more followup on your CB question.

Yaseu makes an $800 "mobile" (non detachable face) radio that supports HF as well as the other bands (CB freqs fall within the HF range). Some quick googling says this radio can be modded to Tx on the FRS freqs as well (although it looks more involved than the ICOM).

Yaesu FT-857D Amateur Transceiver FT857D

It does require two different antennas to operate correctly.

So that there would get you your homerun.

Would you think this Radio would fit in the same spot above the Upfitter Switches like yours? If so it is a Grand Slam for me as I would do this in a heartbeat and no problem running two antennas

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the FT-857D as my base radio. I can take some measurements for ya. Also the head unit can be remotely mounted with the separation kit.