Dovetail bed exhaust routing pics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get some detail pics of how you all are running your exhaust?

I want to go straight back. In front of tire won't work. Cutting it short under bed won't work. I want a real rear exit exhaust. I'd like to be able to carry a spare underneath, but normally won't. The natural exhaust path seems to go into this area.

I've seen the systems that go around the spare tire. One on each side. And am not super impressed. My inclination is to bring the two pipes straight back, but it is awful tight when suspension travel is considered.

Any pics welcome and appreciated.

Please and thanks!

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fabbed the tail pipes below, it would not be hard to send them straight back towards the dove tail...

This was a SW performance connect dual exhaust setup married to a set of their long tube headers.... the tailpipes though are all my creation, 3" SS exhaust tubing... it is tight but doable with a little patience and basic fab skills...

1642865930123.png

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the issue with keeping the exhaust high and going straight back is the rear spring hanger... thats why the upper pipe ducks down, to just clear the spring hanger

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll just be dumping mine over the axle most likely. Dovetailing the bed and putting the pipes back in the same spot they were stock kind of defeats the purpose of dovetailing the bed. I wanted to do lightning style out the right side, but also worried it'll drone really bad.

OP
OP
heybear

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll kick this back to the top.

- @bubblehead93 - very nice work. but your bed doesn’t appear to be dovetailed. And exhaust is pretty much in stock location.

- @98rangerdave - nicely done. no more spare tire, right? bed mount?

anybody manage to retain spark tire under the bed? I’d like to be able to do that.

please and thanks.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll kick this back to the top.

- @bubblehead93 - very nice work. but your bed doesn’t appear to be dovetailed. And exhaust is pretty much in stock location.

- @98rangerdave - nicely done. no more spare tire, right? bed mount?

anybody manage to retain spark tire under the bed? I’d like to be able to do that.

please and thanks.
absolutely true, no dovetail, but dovetail or no dovetail does not change the position of the rear spring hangers which are in your way to tuck the exhaust pipes any higher outboard the frame rails... if you ditch the spare you could bring the tail pipes inboard of the frame rails and likely achieve the "tuck" you are looking for with the tail pipes...

OP
OP
heybear

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolutely true, no dovetail, but dovetail or no dovetail does not change the position of the rear spring hangers which are in your way to tuck the exhaust pipes any higher outboard the frame rails... if you ditch the spare you could bring the tail pipes inboard of the frame rails and likely achieve the "tuck" you are looking for with the tail pipes...
Thank you. Point well taken.

and an apt description of the problem I’m facing.

perhaps at this point best to look at some clean bed-mount spare tire carriers that don’t obstruct vision too much...

cheers!

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a fun bit of fab work to run the tail pipes inboard of the hangers, tight to the frame and out the back... in my case I have the ADD brace and bump stop setup which crowds that area and complicates the routing since it braces against the rear frame crossmember in the picture, with/without that setup, if you lose the spare I think you can get to a rear exit exhaust that would not look like crap with a dovetail setup