dealer fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would try to talk to the owner and show him your truck before a lawyer. Then let the owner know the next time he hears from you it will be from your lawyer
I’m reaching out to the owner first, if he treats me like the sales GM I will get a laywer.

DavidKirchner

Reaction score
I am knowledgeable about metals as I am an Engineer, and I sell corrosion resistant metals. First, I would not use the wording of cathodic protection. Cathodic protection in my circle of corrosion control is about stopping the transfer of electrons in a corrosion reaction. This works well in your household hot water heater or your Evinrude outboard motor on your boat. Here zinc is used to corrode first and produce an electric current that prevents your important metal from corroding. If you are protecting a long pipeline, you can introduce an electric current to prevent corrosion. (PS this works when your metal is submerged in an electrically conductive solution like unpure water I have seen Cathodic protection devices for sale for your vehicle, but this will best protect your metal when submerged at the bottom of the lake.) The spray coating is a good corrosion protector. Coatings are subject to fail if it does not bond well. Surface preparation is essential on most adhesives coatings. Concerns could be that the coating premature fails because the coating did not bond well. As for sealing rust or road grim under the coating, this IS a common corrosion issue. I have read corrosion case study like a bridge being built with wire stays. The bridge took 3 years to build. The wire ropes were stranded on site. Then the cable was sealed in the salty air and even wet with rain still on the steel. The iron oxide was visible before being coated. The coating was to prevent corrosion but since the steel was contaminated, the structure had a 10-year life instead of 50 years. Bottom line is the life expectancy due to corrosion has been shortened, but to what degree will be arguable. There is probably a guide from the maker of the protective coating that would state how to properly prepare the surface before the coating is applied that your lawyer would use to show fault with the coating applicator. Good luck. I am just glad that the metals used on my Gen1 Raptor are better at corrosion resistant than some of that steel that rusts thru seen on 20-year-old trucks.

MisterScott

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try to talk to the owner and show him your truck before a lawyer. Then let the owner know the next time he hears from you it will be from your lawyer

I would normally agree with this approach, however it is my impression the OP has tried this route already. He clearly has a truck they have mucked up and he has had serious conversations with them. One more try might work with the owner though if it is a corporate dealership then there is no owner, only profit. You might give it one more try and say something like "I'd really like to resolve this without getting a lawyer involved." Once you say you have a lawyer or I am getting a lawyer, they will clam up - or at least they should.

MisterScott

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, as others have noted, document everything. Everything.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am knowledgeable about metals as I am an Engineer, and I sell corrosion resistant metals. First, I would not use the wording of cathodic protection. Cathodic protection in my circle of corrosion control is about stopping the transfer of electrons in a corrosion reaction. This works well in your household hot water heater or your Evinrude outboard motor on your boat. Here zinc is used to corrode first and produce an electric current that prevents your important metal from corroding. If you are protecting a long pipeline, you can introduce an electric current to prevent corrosion. (PS this works when your metal is submerged in an electrically conductive solution like unpure water I have seen Cathodic protection devices for sale for your vehicle, but this will best protect your metal when submerged at the bottom of the lake.) The spray coating is a good corrosion protector. Coatings are subject to fail if it does not bond well. Surface preparation is essential on most adhesives coatings. Concerns could be that the coating premature fails because the coating did not bond well. As for sealing rust or road grim under the coating, this IS a common corrosion issue. I have read corrosion case study like a bridge being built with wire stays. The bridge took 3 years to build. The wire ropes were stranded on site. Then the cable was sealed in the salty air and even wet with rain still on the steel. The iron oxide was visible before being coated. The coating was to prevent corrosion but since the steel was contaminated, the structure had a 10-year life instead of 50 years. Bottom line is the life expectancy due to corrosion has been shortened, but to what degree will be arguable. There is probably a guide from the maker of the protective coating that would state how to properly prepare the surface before the coating is applied that your lawyer would use to show fault with the coating applicator. Good luck. I am just glad that the metals used on my Gen1 Raptor are better at corrosion resistant than some of that steel that rusts thru seen on 20-year-old trucks.
Thank you for the correction and brief lesson. I’m uneducated on the topic, common sense tells me trapped salt will accelerate corrosion.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Today I discovered one of my coworkers is very close friends with the family that owns the dealer that has provided me with this nightmare. He is actually best friends with one of them. He is appalled by what I told him today. After work I’m showing him my truck and the progression of photos I have taken. He is taking this straight to the owners, I’m sure the owners have no idea what has taken place. You never know who knows who! Wish me luck!!!

Last edited:

encardyle

Reaction score
These trucks costs 70k and people you gotta deal with after your purchase are not worth even taking a 5k car for service there. Ford in complete is a ************* company.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O
M
G

Dude that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ******. I would find a lawyer and suit up.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks costs 70k and people you gotta deal with after your purchase are not worth even taking a 5k car for service there. Ford in complete is a ************* company.
Ford and GM and all got too comfortable. This is their reckoning. Shit i got **** tons of better service with servicing much cheaper cars at Toyota, Honda, Acura. All the top 5.

encardyle

Reaction score
Ford and GM and all got too comfortable. This is their reckoning. Shit i got **** tons of better service with servicing much cheaper cars at Toyota, Honda, Acura. All the top 5.

My truck at 19k miles had iwe issues and dealership thought it has something to do with the transmission so they took 28 days to figure out the problem. I was without my car making payment for one month on it without even driving it. No loaner provided. Shit they said you gotta pay at enterprise and get your self a loaner. Pissed the **** out of me that day.
This current month I have had it towed 3 times for transmission oil leak.
This is today when I was about to leave for work my whole driveway was full of red pinkish fluid.

I mean you spend so much money and yet you don't have the solution to problems. It's better to go with some other manufacturer where you get better service, better product for your money.

20181226_134706.jpg