Custom ORA 550 HP Tune with only 18 lbs of boost and Trans Tune with Auto Octane Map

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kboom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been working on a new custom tune.
I am not one to write "a poem" about a tune or any product, I like to talk details and results and show them to you.
This tune is amazing! let's talk what makes it great:
1- 451 RWHP (obviously)
2- 529.9 TQ
3- ONLY 18 lbs of boost
4- Trans Tune
5- Auto Octane (Only one map needed)
6- Throttle Sensitivity (Set to match Sport Mode)

The timing was setup properly and the spark was actually working 1f642.png:)
No knocking, no hesitation, no misfires, and the truck pulls great and smoothe.

I Put over 2500 miles on the truck, including a few 100 dirt and trail miles with temps ranging from 95 to 100+ degrees.

The COBB Hard Parts made a huge improvement to the truck and was able to see that on the dyno. With the tune fully removed, the truck dynoed at 378 RWHP. The COBB CAI actually did its job and flowed much better than stock and most of the others out there. the COBB IC was so efficient, we had to adjust the wastegate and pull down the torque a little...

Tune by Matt Robinson (Gearhead Tuning) and it is Exclusive to Offroad Alliance.

Package detail:

COBB IC
COBB CAI
SCT Tuner
Trans Tune
Tune File

YouTube Vid:

Contact info: [email protected]

ORA 550 w Trans Tune and Auto Octane.JPG

OP
OP
kboom

kboom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty nice, are you selling this tune and would it be good for towing?
It is for sale as a package or, if you already have the COBB HArd Parts, then you can buy the tuner/Tune separately. Not all IC's and CAI are designed the same. Matt was surprised to see how well the COBB HArd Parts flowed on the dyno so the adjustments that were made are very specific to those parts.
Please reach out to me and I will gladly assist you in any way I can.
COBB is working on releasing trans tune very soon, so we will be able to put this very tune on the COBB AP as well.

[email protected]

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ironically spoke to Jeff during the week (you guys are good @ following up quickly- appreciated)- I plan on having a package put together as well w/ some lights/suspension parts in addition to Cobb AP w/ tune.

Appreciate the detailed write up on the tune, I like that gearhead has so much experience w/ boosted diesels

Question though- was that dyno run done on 87 or 93 octane? Either the truck is underrated from the factory or picking up extra HP from higher octane or that’s a friendly dyno- I’m morn concerned w/ before after difference in #s- but 378whp stock shows only 16% parasitic loss- which is unheard of on large 4x4 trucks w/ 4.10s & 100 lb per corner ATs. Should be more like 20-25%

Last edited:
OP
OP
kboom

kboom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironically spoke to Jeff during the week (you guys are good @ following up quickly- appreciated)- I plan on having a package put together as well w/ some lights/suspension parts in addition to Cobb AP w/ tune.

Appreciate the detailed write up on the tune, I like that gearhead has so much experience w/ boosted diesels

Question though- was that dyno run done on 87 or 93 octane? Either the truck is underrated from the factory or picking up extra HP from higher octane or that’s a friendly dyno- I’m morn concerned w/ before after difference in #s- but 378whp stock shows only 16% parasitic loss- which is unheard of on large 4x4 trucks w/ 4.10s & 100 lb per corner ATs. Should be more like 20-25%

We ran several runs on the dyno before coming out with those numbers. He also dunked many other raptors on there and mine had the highest numbers.
The tune and all dyno were done on 93 octane.
I know it’s hard to believe but I made more power with IPD Plenum on my 991TT, 997TT... power can be made with the proper setup. You are flowing more air, but are you making sure other parameters are adjusted for the higher air flow? That’s usually a question a lot people don’t consider.
We had to lower torque because the Cobb hard parts were flowing so well so we don’t overboost.
The other thing you need to consider is proper timing and low boost. We only used 18 max psi :). Let me know if i could answer any more of your questions.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my latest issues of Car & Driver had a writeup of how regular vs. premium fuel affects various new cars. F-150 Limited (with the high output ecoboost of course) was one of the test subjects. They are reporting 380whp on 93 octane and down to 360whp on 87 octane. It does seem like these trucks are slightly underrated at 450 crank. Probably more like 475-480.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, my latest issues of Car & Driver had a writeup of how regular vs. premium fuel affects various new cars. F-150 Limited (with the high output ecoboost of course) was one of the test subjects. They are reporting 380whp on 93 octane and down to 360whp on 87 octane. It does seem like these trucks are slightly underrated at 450 crank. Probably more like 475-480.

Bingo.

Nope they’re not underrated, but the advertised HP rating is based on 87 octane fuel.

This supports my suspicion the Raptor does indeed run stronger/better even bone stock w/ 93 octane. I bet even better w/ Cooler plugs. This is one of a number of examples that confirm this. I’ve been running 93 since I purchased it. It’s crazy how much potential these things have w/ minimal upgrades.

OP
OP
kboom

kboom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

Nope they’re not underrated, but the advertised HP rating is based on 87 octane fuel.

This supports my suspicion the Raptor does indeed run stronger/better even bone stock w/ 93 octane. I bet even better w/ Cooler plugs. This is one of a number of examples that confirm this. I’ve been running 93 since I purchased it. It’s crazy how much potential these things have w/ minimal upgrades.

Ford did the median after testing a lot of their raptors by using 91

I’m running SP542 gapped at 0.026

Higher octane fuel makes a difference. You will see a significant difference between 87 and 91 as to 91 and 93.

I had my truck dunked bone stock and was under 370.

The better purpose of the CAI and IC is to sustain power levels and keep good flow. When I was running stock and Cobb Stage 1 (No IC) i lost 50 HP by the third dyno run.

If we mount the same F-150 limited wheels and tires on my truck and run it on the dyno, it will show higher numbers as well.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
We ran several runs on the dyno before coming out with those numbers. He also dunked many other raptors on there and mine had the highest numbers.
The tune and all dyno were done on 93 octane.
I know it’s hard to believe but I made more power with IPD Plenum on my 991TT, 997TT... power can be made with the proper setup. You are flowing more air, but are you making sure other parameters are adjusted for the higher air flow? That’s usually a question a lot people don’t consider.
We had to lower torque because the Cobb hard parts were flowing so well so we don’t overboost.
The other thing you need to consider is proper timing and low boost. We only used 18 max psi :). Let me know if i could answer any more of your questions.

Question about using only 18 PSI, my stock 2019 Raptor Supercrew runs 18 PSI boost which is what the boost gauge showed when I hammered it today coming home.

So is 18 PSI boost normal for a stock truck?

Also how did the transmission in the other drive modes feel?