Coil spring install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i had a question for those of you that swapped out coil springs and did it yourself. After installing the top hat is it still possible to rotate it independently from rotating the spring? I’m about to do it myself and realized that you need to make sure the 3 studs in the hat line up with the 3 holes in the bucket but also need to have the lower bolt line up with the LCA. Once the perch is on the spring can’t rotate so I’m wondering if it’s still possible to rotate the hat without rotating the spring. Hope that made sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone has an easier way, but the way I did it was installed the top hat keeping the nuts loose. Compressed the spring then took a pry bar and rotated the bottom till it lined up. I tried the eye ball it when I putting the shock all back together so I only had to rotate the bottom maybe an 1/8 of a turn (if that).

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what i was planning to do too. Maybe hit the top rubber isolator with some silicone so the top hat will slide a little easier when you twist the shock

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I did. Forgot to mention that I used the silicone to make it slide better.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate the info. Any chance you remember how long it took to install? I’ve had my shocks out trying to do mid perch and remember it being a pain but can’t remember how long it took. I have a few options for the install.

Pay a shop to do the whole thing

Do it myself in my driveway

Rent a self service garage with a lift and spring compressor for 200 bucks for 6 hours

Highly considering the self service garage.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no I really can’t remember. I know it took the first shock a lot longer than the second. Had issues with figuring out the spring compressors and how far to compress. I wish there was one of those stand type compressor with the four arms in my area. That would have made life a lot easier. With all that said I know I did it in a day. ALL DAY :)

I like that “Rent a Shop”idea. Seen those on some tv shows. I would go for that. With a lift and hopefully one of those heavy duty spring compressors, you could definitely do it in six hours.