CNG (Compressed Natural Gas): Anyone thought about a bifuel conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah J in OK NG is everywhere. I have a filling station less than a mile from my house I pass every time i got to go shopping for food. The conversion kits are a lot more. 6500 up to 15K depending on who's doing what and what size of tank you are getting. Now the government gives you a little kick back but doesn't cover the cost at all. The station a couple months ago was $0.75 gge (gas gallon equivalent) but looks like it might have gone up to $1.29. Public Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) stations and prices in the USA

I know that service companies like the one i work for have to sell it to the customer at their cost running down the line. Now if a company buys from them and then sells it to you I think they can mark that up but not 100% sure on that. So the fluctuation like regular no lead isn't as bad. Takes longer just like NG to your house. I know Oklahoma have converted a lot of there stuff over to NG like buses and trash trucks.

They have done lots of testing on these tanks for safety. First thing is the tanks are very tough. Second the NG in the tanks vapor off and don't stay on the ground like no lead does if the tanks are punctured. Also, I know they had developed some tanks that have a controlled release of the tank in an event the tank was ruptured like a rip seam.

I personally haven't done the kit yet due to the 6.2L haven't been out long enough and the companies making the kits just aren't real clear about them. Plus the fact the motor warranty goes away makes not such a warm and fuzzy for me due to the cost of a new motor is a lot more than the gas savings.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've been looking to do propane conversions for some work trucks...haven't looked into CNG. So far the Ford dealers are charging $13,000 to put a propane conversion on a van or truck with a 5.4. That's a little steep but with gas costs as high as they are and the amount of miles we put on our trucks it looks a little better than it did a year ago...

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to do propane conversions for some work trucks...haven't looked into CNG. So far the Ford dealers are charging $13,000 to put a propane conversion on a van or truck with a 5.4. That's a little steep but with gas costs as high as they are and the amount of miles we put on our trucks it looks a little better than it did a year ago...

Holy shit!!! 13k... I just looked for some used Ford CNG trucks and found some for 7.5k... Are you able to change the parts yourself?

2001 Ford F-150 CNG with HOV sticker

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I wonder what's changed? To add it to the Silverado will be a $3k adder.

Well its Government Motors! Obama is underwriting it! Seriously, I looked into this about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago, so I'm sure prices are more reasonable. First, I would suspect the price has gone down some as there has been much more interest in natural gas with all of the domestic shale gas finds (which keep me employeed!). I know when I googled this a few years ago there were only a few hits, now you google it and there's hundreds of sites, forums, threads, etc. Competition lowers prices! Secondly, you (as a consumer) get tax breaks on CNG vehicles/conversions and I would bet that GM is getting a tax break & possibly some goverment grants to push this (told you it was Obama doing it!). Next, insurance is what makes things so expensive! Look at ladders, look at the twenty warning labels on them, look at how simple they are, and then look at the price! Ladders are outrageously priced due to lawsuits and insurance. With this coming as a "factory" package, it probably falls right under GM's standard liability coverage with little bump in their premium. Lastly, I know on the Ford there were some parts that had to be replaced, it was not a kit you just ADD ON. I would bet GM has designed the parts in question (don't remember what all they were) to be CNG compliant on the entire engine family, so in this case there are no parts to be replaced, so it's just bolt on. All just my best guess!

here's a site with a bit of info:

http://www.tulsagastech.com/conversion.html

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw a new article about this. Looks like Chrysler is in the mix too. On the Dodges the article says its an $11K option! Wow. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I find it funny that the two bailed out companies are jumping on this so hard. Also, notice the article talks about decreased price per gallon, cleaner burning, etc. but never, ever touches on MPG! Also, notice the huge payload reduction. I think their business model is to stick it to government entities. I know many municipalities, counties, etc. have run CNG/propane conversions for years, and this looks like the OEM's oppurtunity to cash in on that directly, plus tout the Obama line on greener energy. Don't want to start a political debate over the whole thing, just my two cents.
Chrysler GM to Sell Natural-Gas-Powered Pickups - MSN Autos

by the way Big J, you said the GM option was $3K, but I never could find that in the OP article or elsewhere. This article even states they haven't released pricing, just wondering where you got that number?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crap. Now I can't find it either. Serves me right for not quoting my sources in the first place. Sorry for the misinformation.

I did find this though: "The price of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra with the CNG bifuel option is not known yet. Expect pricing to be below the Silverado Hybrid that starts at $39,640."

GMC, Chevrolet Make Stunning Announcement about Bifuel Trucks

Can't say where they got that idea, but if its true that would make sense to me.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I heard this on cramer mad money It ****** me off he don't like ethanol but who cares I do e-30 baby lol