Clicking and buzzing sound from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typr04

Reaction score
Hey guys. Does this sound normal to anyone upon start up. I took this 11 second video. It’s also after the engine has been warmed up and I primed it. 2018 with 29,000 miles.
It’s like a clicking and a slight buzzing sound. Maybe it’s normal and I’m just hearing things.
I took the foam cover off as well to enhance the sound. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6632.MOV
    15.7 MB

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something wrong with the video, doesn't load for me. Maybe do a search on the wastegate rattle for your truck, believe there's a tsb for it from Ford, maybe that is the noise you're hearing.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
Thanks. Too many videos of different sounds from these engines. Hope it’s just normal because I love this beast of a truck! Gonna drop it off at a dealer this week and show them the video because it’ll be the perfect time for them not to hear it otherwise.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. Too many videos of different sounds from these engines. Hope it’s just normal because I love this beast of a truck! Gonna drop it off at a dealer this week and show them the video because it’ll be the perfect time for them not to hear it otherwise.
The dealer can’t diagnose it from a video, they need to have the concern present when it’s there. It’s very difficult to determine normal vs abnormal sound from a recording, as the microphone pics up everything. Have you verified your oil level? If you can only hear it with the hood open and engine cover removed, it’s most likely normal engine noise.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. All fluid levels are full. I even cleaned all the fan blades as others have posted before. And it’s noticeable without the hood and cover open which is what caused me to open it up, at which point it is very noticeable. I need another raptor to compare it to. Because maybe I’m just hearing things at this point and assuming something is wrong.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
The dealer can’t diagnose it from a video, they need to have the concern present when it’s there. It’s very difficult to determine normal vs abnormal sound from a recording, as the microphone pics up everything. Have you verified your oil level? If you can only hear it with the hood open and engine cover removed, it’s most likely normal engine noise.
Well took it to the dealer. They are replacing a lot of shit under warranty. Apparently there’s a new recall for the engine ticking sound so they are taking the engine apart. I’ll get the list later.