Chipped Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huvv

Reaction score
Not sure where I should put this thread so I'm throwing it in General. I go out to my truck this morning and notice a massive 1/4-1/2 inch chip of paint on the front of the hood just above the grill. Not really sure what happened but I'm no expert on fixing this so I was wondering what you guys do to fix this. It sticks out like crazy since it's black paint. It's not a little scratch but a good chunk of paint is missing and it's also really deep. Thanks in advance for any help

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A home repair will never look right but you could fill it in with some touch up paint.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you do touch up paint, go with Dr Colorchip. My boss did it to his Mercedes SL500 that was bright red and after he touched up the front from the road rash, you couldn't even tell unless you were in perfect lighting/angles and looking for it. You HAVE to do it the way they tell you or it won't work though.

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^2, what he said, I have Molten orange and I got my touchup from the Ford dlr. I think it was around 15-20.00. But with that large of a nick you may need to go to a body shop.

trafficman337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where I should put this thread so I'm throwing it in General. I go out to my truck this morning and notice a massive 1/4-1/2 inch chip of paint on the front of the hood just above the grill. Not really sure what happened but I'm no expert on fixing this so I was wondering what you guys do to fix this. It sticks out like crazy since it's black paint. It's not a little scratch but a good chunk of paint is missing and it's also really deep. Thanks in advance for any help

If it were me, it would drive me nuts. I would find a body shop in your area and have it fixed right. If the chip is as big as you describe and it is in the focal point of the hood, you have to get it fixed properly. You undoubtedly got hit with something on the highway, just the right way. I had a June Bug do that to an F150 I had. Look at it this way, you just spent nearly 50k on a truck that you plan on owning a while, you don't want this to be the center of attraction. Touch up paint won't do the trick for something that big.

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks man. Get it fixed the right way. I just noticed on both drivers door and passenger door near the front wheel well (bottom of door) paint is starting to bubble. Shit ****** me seeing its brand new. Going to dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

Milez28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fill it in with something to get an even level surface, then buy a hood decal from designs-n-signs that goes all the way to the grill to cover it and aslo protect it from happening again