C&D Test: Premium 93 worth it in F150/Raptor HO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just tried a tank of 87 for the first time. I averaged the same MPG according to the dash info (reset of course).

have to do the math......gallons filled/ miles driven.......the trip computer is very inaccurate. Have seen it off by 1 gallon either way.

If I am doing a long road trip, when I know I am setting the cruise for 600+ miles.......i will have no problem using 87. zero need for extra power when doing 75mph for 5 hours straight.

Any other time, it is 93 for me.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regardless what your stance is on catch cans I would also think sticking exclusively to 93 over 87 would result in less blow back/carbon buildup since the ECM can already adjust for it & is pulling timing etc. to accomodate for 87

Just a guess

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have to do the math......gallons filled/ miles driven.......the trip computer is very inaccurate. Have seen it off by 1 gallon either way.

If I am doing a long road trip, when I know I am setting the cruise for 600+ miles.......i will have no problem using 87. zero need for extra power when doing 75mph for 5 hours straight.

Any other time, it is 93 for me.

Of course the math would be more accurate for an absolute MPG... but for a 87 vs 93 comparison... using the same inaccurate measurement device should show any difference.

Remi

Reaction score
Jason from engineer explained channel on youtube, did something similar to this with the ecoboost engine (not the HO engine) base on his findings, and it was similar to this, it's about the same with the results on this report with the HO engine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about 91? My Gen1 with Whipple Supercharger has a sticker that Shelby put on inner gas door saying to use 91,which is easy to find where I live..I would never put 87 in it...but has anyone compared 91 vs. 93 ..or is it a wash?

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What about 91? My Gen1 with Whipple Supercharger has a sticker that Shelby put on inner gas door saying to use 91,which is easy to find where I live..I would never put 87 in it...but has anyone compared 91 vs. 93 ..or is it a wash?

Did you read the whole article?

In it they compared 91 vs 93 for the BMW. It made more power and was faster. I would assume the same for our trucks.

FYI my dash MPG and doing the math is off by about 1.5-1.8 mpg every tank.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

In it they compared 91 vs 93 for the BMW. It made more power and was faster. I would assume the same for our trucks.

Underestimating or overestimating by the computer?

Sparty94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article. It is interesting how the performance gains between 87, (91 BMW) and 93 octane can vary between the various engines. I tried using 87 for one tank on my 2019 Raptor before I added the JDM Engineering Stage 1 kit (tune, plugs, CAI and IC). I felt the difference in stock set up. It is even more noticeable with big gains in all driving modes with a 93 octane performance tune. I have done a 93 octane tune on my last 4 trucks. The Raptor with this setup has the most noticeable change in performance and turns this truck into a beast.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes,did read it all,guess my question should of been put better....wanted to compare Raptor to Raptor,not BMW to Raptor in general...I have a 540I BMW that I always run 91 in also,anything less and it runs like shit...