BEST Way to Do a Light Smoke on BLIS Taillights? Smoked Film OR Paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I have the BLIS taillights on my truck, but I don't like the darn White rings around the tails or on the headlights. I'm not worried about the headlights right now, because I'm planning to change to Morimoto 2nd Gen HL's soon. BUT, since I have the BLIS tails and they have so many contours, is it better for me to go to a body shop and have them sprayed or has anyone in the Houston area had a light Smoke film applied without any negative results to the BLIS?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would BLIS be effected by vinyl? As long as you don't use something with metal in it, I would worry. As far as the contours go, it will be more challenging, but doable. The tail lights are pretty easy to remove, so I would just take them off, and give it a shot. If you can't get it on good, you're only out the cost of the wrap.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have body shop do them in light ting w/ clear coat you’ll have much better results

did this w/ my front corner markers & tail lights on my Vette - way better result than what I’ve seen w/ nightshade spray can or film

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didn't know if film was even doable, given the contours; or if the thickness of a smoked lens protection film was too thick, and affected the BLIS. I think I'll take it to a body shop and have them give the tails a light smoke and coat of clear. Thanks!

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A tint shop did the tail lights on my car - white to red. Still looks great going on 10 years.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think I can get 'em smoked for a lot less than $1800....and I don't want them totally blacked out like limo dark. Just lightly smoked to get rid of that damn "white border". Looks good glowing Red at night, but :whymewhyme: annoys me during the day on a Black truck......

JDZ

Reaction score
You can also just do the more flat area in a smoke vinyl film that includes the white and surrounds the red protruding lens as an option.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smoked = Permanent.
New Taillights(Recon, etc) = $$$$
Tint = cheapest and temporary

I am always trying to avoid anything that is permanent. I called a dozen places in Los Angeles to tint the taillights. I only found one....even then they called Luxe Automotive in UT to make sure it was done right. Luxe has done it on multiple Raptors. They use STEK "light film" it only comes in light or dark, the only catch with the film is you will have a couple seems. I can't even tell where they are when I am close to it. It turned out great

before and after pics below

IMG_7206.jpg
IMG_7211.jpg

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s another example of how light a tint can be on tails w/ body shop doing it, not a raptor but you get the idea, the side marker is factory, the tails are led but were just as bright red as the side marker until tinted/cleared (& no- there aren’t any scratches above that side marker it’s just some messed up reflection off my toolbox lol)

DA53FA2A-8D22-415A-A392-D01FF8403813.jpeg

EB92C6E3-AC71-418F-A428-016B3223CCE4.jpeg

E6396B6D-48DB-40FF-975B-106D142289AB.jpeg