BAK Roll-X Secure?, I think not!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bak should get rid of the cable pull and just have a t-handle knob in the middle that has to be turned 180 degrees to pull on the cables enough to retract the latches.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Roll-X Security Fix!

I posted pictures of the fix but it's been raining since I did this so couldn't show a video of the solution. Uploaded it to Youtube. Sorry for the crappy video.

I have to remove my cover anyways, the weather strip in front of the bed already came off. They are using a white tape that is not very sticky and even worse when you have a spray-in and the surface isn't smooth. I got some extreme heavy duty 3M tape and redoing it. I would suggest that others do the same when installing it as the tape on it most likely won't stay stuck. I would not hesitate to purchase the Roll-X again, just with the added security measure. :)

Video to fix:
YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

If the thieves are getting to the cables and releasing the latches holding the cover to the track, it would seem, as a simple redesign, to just move the release cables further back. Although it may be more inconvenient to use, I'm sure most people would like the extra security and have to reach a few inches more to get to the cable.

If the thieves are getting to the latches, I would just make them either beefier, or stiffer. If a thief takes longer to get into someone's stuff, then there is more chance of him getting caught. Or if its too much of a pain the the butt, they may just simply give up.

What do you guys think?

I think it matters if the thief is white or black.

Black Guy Breaks Into A Car - YouTube

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good thread. I too am thinking about ordering one, I'll be waiting to see what kind of solution they come up with. Kinda disappointing that you had to mod it to be more secure since that is one of the main reasons why most people order one of these. Thanks again for the vids and the solution. I'm sure others will be modifying theirs with the help of your video.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will get a roll-x; if this is still an issue, I will install a piece of aluminum angle (the with of the bed) that will cover up the pull cable and stiffen the back of the cover...
Problem solved!

Let me clarify: You install the angle to cover up the access to the cable from the back, but still can pull it after the tail gate is opened.

Last edited: