Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I go with a set of amber Squadron sports, in my bumper light build and I find I hate them or don’t use them that much only because of the color. Can I easily change the lens out for a clear type? Just wanted to make sure the led’s themselves are the same color temp as the white lighting.

Yes! That’s one of the best things about Baja Designs, you can easily switch the lenses out!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok cool. Never had a big use for ambers, but it may accent the lighting on this truck. I may also get some street use out of them I think. Along with a set of white SAE’s and squad sport driving combo’s for backroads. Until I run the ambers I am not really sure how I will like the color. If anyone has a drivers seat pic from there truck to post up, that would be great!

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool. Never had a big use for ambers, but it may accent the lighting on this truck. I may also get some street use out of them I think. Along with a set of white SAE’s and squad sport driving combo’s for backroads. Until I run the ambers I am not really sure how I will like the color. If anyone has a drivers seat pic from there truck to post up, that would be great!

Amber are just as bright as the clear, just give a yellow tint so only good for on road use in SAE technically. They are yellow, not orange so don’t match factory DRL, turns, etc. if that is what you are intending. They do cut glare off of road signs/snow/wet roads and are theoretically better for fog and dust. One option that is even easier is to get a set of Amber rock covers to go over the squads. It’s easier to do than swapping lenses and also lets you experiment a bit before spending the money on lenses. I swapped out my amber for clear after installing them because I preferred the white light. I have the FRL bezel which makes the rock covers a bit more challenging to get to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s good to know about the ambers. Do ambers provide more light to a wet road then the road reflecting white light off? This may be of use, we get a lot of rain down here.

How do you find adjustability of your lights using the FRL bezels? I long have considered these. But between adjustments and not being able to utilize a full size light on the ends, I may choose something like there standard mount bracket.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ambers are better for snow/fog/rain conditions. Here is a comparison we recently did with some S2s and Squadrons to give you an idea of beam patterns (i didn't do the ambers but we will in a future shootout)

upload_2019-10-7_22-21-41-png.130388

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/s2-sport/

upload_2019-10-7_22-21-45-png.130389

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/s2-pro/

upload_2019-10-7_22-21-50-png.130390

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-driving-fog-lights/baja-designs/squadron-sport/

upload_2019-10-7_22-21-54-png.130391

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-driving-fog-lights/baja-designs/squadron-pro/

upload_2019-10-7_22-21-58-png.130392

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/squadron-sae/

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ambers sounds like something I will certainly consider. The rain driving has its appeal. I still will have to see if the color doesn’t drive my eyes crazy. Maybe only one way to see.

What about a pair of Squadron Sport wides, Squadron SAE’s, and for backroad and off the beaten path Squadron Sports driving combos? All in white light. Otherwise I would consider Amber SAE’s instead of the Squad Sport Wides. Thoughts?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My favorite setup is

Squadron SAE Wide Cornering (your everyday use light)
Squadron SAE Wide Cornering Amber (good for fog/snow/rain/etc...)
Squadron Driving/Combo Pros (great to light up everything)

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ambers sounds like something I will certainly consider. The rain driving has its appeal. I still will have to see if the color doesn’t drive my eyes crazy. Maybe only one way to see.

What about a pair of Squadron Sport wides, Squadron SAE’s, and for backroad and off the beaten path Squadron Sports driving combos? All in white light. Otherwise I would consider Amber SAE’s instead of the Squad Sport Wides. Thoughts?

The bezels pose no difficulty aiming the lights as they sit behind the rear opening. They do, however, restrict the lateral light spread of the w/c lights IMHO slightly but not enough to really notice while driving. I only have the double bezel version. Personally, I’d go wth an SAE, a d/c and a spot. To me, an SAE, a w/c and a d/c would be redundant, but that is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear BD...what does the “R” designation mean? As in Squadron-R SAE wide cornering, vs the regular Squadron SAE wide cornering?

Neither the BD website nor the various IMO websites explain this.

Thanks.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True the SAE’s and Squadron Wide Corning is sounding redundant to me. Below is sounding like a nice combo. Ambers for rain/wet roads have sparked my interest.

Why can’t these vendors provide pics, simulations and data for all driving conditions online lol.

My favorite setup is

Squadron SAE Wide Cornering (your everyday use light)
Squadron SAE Wide Cornering Amber (good for fog/snow/rain/etc...)
Squadron Driving/Combo Pros (great to light up everything)